Help with Kievan Rus gear (945-972AD)

Moderator: Moderators

Telogne

Help with Kievan Rus gear (945-972AD)

Postby Telogne » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Greetings folks,

as I newcomer to the field of reenactment, after starting doing some research, I got (quite "unexpectadly") overwhelmed by the vast amount of resources, of which many are not reliable or relevant, and thus, for a beginner as myself, quite confusing.

That is why I have come here in hopes that all your great minds full of vast knowledge of the history and findings would share some insight on the era I wish to reenact, and possibly point me in the right direction of further resources and related information.

I wish to profile myself as a low-ranked warrior of Sviatoslav the Great´s druzhina (also known as Sviatoslav I of Kiev, the Grand Prince of Kiev) who ruled between 945 and 972 AD.

What I have problem with is the specification of clothing and accessories.

Could you please help me (and anyone else interested in this era) out? Relevant and reliable resources, photos, books, patterns - all is welcome.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance.

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: Help with Kievan Rus gear (945-972AD)

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Well, for a start, there is no such thing as a 'low class Druzhina'. The Druzinha were drawn from the ranks of the nobility.
Have a look for - The Archaeology of Novgorod - ISBN 0583-9106; The Early Slavs (PM Barford) - ISBN 0 7141 2804X; Pechenegs, Cumans, Iasians - Steppe People in Medieval Hungary (AP Horvath) ISBN - 963 13 2740X; Warriors of the Steppes (E Hildinger) - ISBN 1-873376-73-1.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Return to “410-1100”