Help with an Arabic name

Moderator: Moderators

zraven7

Help with an Arabic name

Postby zraven7 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Hello, all. it of back info here, I'm a herald withing the SCA. I'm guessing a lot of you know about the group. Either way, one of the things we do is to help newer members find period-authenticate names for "personas" they create, which are basically starting points for their own research into the past. We can get, well, a little anal-retentive about the viability of these names...

Either way, a member of my group has reached out to the rest of us for help, and I'm humbly reaching out to the world. We have a newer member looking into a Bedouin persona, and they are looking at the name "Farooq" (Faruq, Farouk).
Now, I know that the name stemmed from the Honorific of the Caliph, Umar, being "Al-Faruq". Thing is, I haven't been able to find it used as anything besides an honorific until early twentieth century. To be fair, i'm not entirely sure where to look, but one thinks something would have turned up from earlier than that.
In any case, I'll be continuing my own research, but if anyone with more knowledge of Arabic resources can give me a hand, I'd be eternally grateful.
I'm primarily trying to find some kind of reliable, recorded instance of the name from as early as possible, with it being used as a primary given name, not as an honorific.

I know there have to be a good chunk of yo more knowledgeable than me on this. Thank you so much for your time and any help you can give.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: Help with an Arabic name

Postby Brother Ranulf » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:23 pm

This page by David Appleton is a good starting point, as he has researched pre-1600 Arabic names and titles from period documents (he is himself apparently an SCA member) :

http://heraldry.sca.org/names/arabic-naming2.htm

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

zraven7

Re: Help with an Arabic name

Postby zraven7 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 pm

I found this referenced elsewhere, but the link was broken, for some reason. This one works just fine. Thank you. This will help me personally, and if nothing else, I can set the person down a path to picking an easily verifiable name. :-)

Return to “410-1100”