Runic Ring?

Moderator: Moderators

Aelle

Runic Ring?

Postby Aelle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:36 pm

I know that this is going to sound like an obvious question but,i've recently been given a silver finger ring with what is described as a 6th Century (c.e) Danish invocation in runic script on the outer face and,i was wondering,did such rings exist in the later 6th Century (570,to be exact),it's just that i don't want to be caught wearing it with my kit if it's not of the correct period (and that's happened before :$ ).

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Re: Runic Ring?

Postby Medicus Matt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:02 pm

That's the Kingmoor ring, which is 9th or 10th C.
There are quite a few Anglo Saxon rune rings which date to the 8th - 10th century.

If the ring you've got is the 'Gibu auja' ring like the one sold by Jelling Dragon then the inscription itself is fine for 6th century as it turns up on a couple of bracteates of the period. It's sometimes interpreted as meaning 'I give good luck'.

Can't think of an actual 6th century runic ring though.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Aelle

Postby Aelle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks,everyone :thumbup: ,yes Matt,that's the one,i was given it as a gift,a bit back,if you reckon i could get away with it,then i'll stick with it,just didn't want to risk being picked up on it by someone at an event,it's cost me a small fortune in new kit and i'd hate to mess it up by getting that wrong,thanks again everyone!.

Skauher

Postby Skauher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:16 pm

It should be fine if it's the Elder Futhark

Edit: Which the Jelling Dragon ring is.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:40 pm

The runes themselves aren't an issue, it's the practice of wearing a ring with runes on it in a 6th century context that I was uncertain about.

Any examples to found in Norway?

"I never said that I was here to help."

Return to “410-1100”