Badon on site of the battle

Moderator: Moderators

Edwin

Badon on site of the battle

Postby Edwin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:47 pm

There is a case for the Battle of Badon having been fought at Barbury Castle which is a hillfort on the Wiltshire Downs. Relics possibly from the battle may be seen at Devizes Museum.
http://www.swindon.gov.uk/lc/lc-parks/l ... astle.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbury_Castle

Has anybody considered staging a re-enacted battle on that site? The events at the Arthur Centre, Slaughterbridge, Camelford, Cornwall, certainly gain from being a possible site for Camlann and most likely for a later Dark Age battle.

Although there was some restoration of Iron Age Hillforts in the post-Roman period the general state of the defence could well have been similar in the 6th century to their state today.

At the least I wonder that more Dark Age societies do not have private events using Hillforts and other deserted historical sites.

"Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend"

purple peril

Re: Badon on site of the battle

Postby purple peril » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Ummm, they just did a large reenactment of it at Old Sarum :)

Edwin

Postby Edwin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:58 pm

purple peril wrote:Ummm, they just did a large reenactment of it at Old Sarum :)

Yes, that is what reminded me but how good to have reenactment battles on actual sites if possible. After all Old Sarum had its own battle

"A.D. 552.
This year Cynric fought with the Britons on the spot that is called Sarum, and put them to flight."

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:08 pm

I organised the 'Badon' event at Old Sarum.

I looked into the possiblity of having it at one of the many (many, many, many) suggested sites a couple of years ago (either Liddington, Badbury or Barbury) but, for various reasons, none of them lend themselves to re-enactment in the way that Old Sarum does.

The very specific problem with Barbury is that it's on a public right of way, which meant that you couldn't control access making it a non-starter from an H&S perspective. It would also have made gathering entry money problematic.

Unless you're in the lucky position of actually owning a hill fort, you're unlikely to get permission to reconstruct aspects of the defences so what you're really left with is yet another battle featuring two lines of people in a field.
Which is very dull.

No one knows where Badon was fought, so fighting it 'on site of the battle' (sic) is tricky but Sarum certainly fits all of my logistical criteria (reoccupied hillfort which the Englisc needed to clear out as they pushed westwards towards the Bristol channel). That, combined with the facts that:-
a) It's got a bridge that you can fight on,
b) Someone was actually going to pay us to put on a show there (important when you've got people travelling from all over Europe)
c)Providing toilets, water, firewood, PA etc were all somebody elses problem

made it ideal. :D

I'm hoping to put on a 'Searobyrg 552' event at Old Sarum next, just to even the score.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Edwin

Postby Edwin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Maybe though Barbury Castle might be a possibility with the assistance of the Countryside Rangers. We did hold a celebration after building the Roundhouse there with the Public attending, not paying though I think. Toilets, parking and cafe.

Something I want to construct in my bit of wood is either a "Round" or just the gate of a small earthwork. Would do for multi-period practice/fun private sessions.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Edwin wrote:Maybe though Barbury Castle might be a possibility with the assistance of the Countryside Rangers. We did hold a celebration after building the Roundhouse there with the Public attending.

Dogwalkers and ramblers deciding to exercise their right to cross the site whilst I've got infantry, cavalry, archers and artillery on the field was percieved as being the biggest headache.

Ask 'em not to for the hour or so that you might want to control the area and then brace yourself for a tirade of purest English middle-class indignation.

Perhaps some sort of commemorative event might be possible there in 2016 ,to mark the documented battle of 556. Dog walkers v Ramblers....that'd be fun.

Edwin

Postby Edwin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm

These days it seems to be Bushcrafters vs Ramblers but I take your point.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:28 pm

I rarelly delve in here but just a general 'well done Matt' for that weekend, it was jolly good, despite the dodgy weather and dodgier PA! Top notch event all round, some great kit on display and v happy punters. good numbers on the field too....

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 am

Mark Griffin wrote:I rarelly delve in here but just a general 'well done Matt' for that weekend, it was jolly good, despite the dodgy weather and dodgier PA! Top notch event all round, some great kit on display and v happy punters. good numbers on the field too....

Awww, cheers Griff.

We'll be doing it all again on August BH 2014. Bigger, better, stronger....older.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:30 am

I'll order a bath chair and a nurse a la Mr Grace for Dan the late Roman man now...

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “410-1100”