Help-my sword needs a name!

Moderator: Moderators

Aelle

Help-my sword needs a name!

Postby Aelle » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:55 pm

I've just received my new "spatha" (though i won't be getting it 'till christmas :( ) and,being a late 6th/early 7th century weapon,it should really have a personal name so,i was wondering,could anybody suggest something suitable in a Northumbrian context and,of course,in old english,that would be considered suitable,as i don't want to mess it up by using my own,very limited,judgement,all suggestions would be very welcome :thumbup: .

Hobbitstomper

Re: Help-my sword needs a name!

Postby Hobbitstomper » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:02 am

Since you come from Hartleypool... Monkey Spanker

Which would be something like Apa Beatan (although the second word probably needs chaging a bit)

Aelle

Postby Aelle » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Ah!,but that would be Old 'artlepool (i.e,the headland),where i come from is the victorian "new town" (West Hartlepool,as was),no monkeys round this neck of the woods (as far as i know,anyway),still,i'll pass this one on to the good folk over there and beat a hasty retreat straight after :lol: .

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:15 pm

:-)

I named one of my swords "Precious" as it had silver fittings.

bilbobaglin

Postby bilbobaglin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:08 pm

And lo! The leader of those men of the North, the mighty warriors who defeated the foe at Cattraeth, held aloft his mighty sword and cried "This is my blade, the bane of the Gododdin, renter of the Danes, whose edge shall never dull, whose hilt shall never fail, and whose shall hence forth be known as the king's right arm. I name him Fred!" And his warriors were thusly smacked upon the gob and thought him to be removing the name of St. Michael and cried "My lord, yer wot?" And the king did say, "What's wrong with Fred? T'is a good solid name. Mine uncle's name actually."
Then stepped forward the bard and pleaded unto him "If it please my lord, why not Dane Slayer or Saxonreaver or something."
"Oh, Cometh on," the king replied "may as well go the whole hog and call it Goblinsbane! I like Fred, it's no-nonsense. A name you can trust."
Here a warrior, Richard brother to the King, did arise and say "What about Angle Grinder!" And the host was filled with joy, did beat upon their thighs and the hall rang with laughter.
But the king was not amused, saying "Oh, very clever, Dick." And that was the first time that saying was ever used.
Again the bard did plead the King, "What about Sting?"
"Ooh" said the King, "Did you come up with that all by yourself? Tell you what, how about Narsil or Anduril, or even Tolkienestatepleasesueus. Puh-lease! I am a warrior king, not a player of some living action role."
And here did the Queen arise and say "Alright, smart Alec" (for this was the king's name) "Why Fred?"
"In honour of my forefathers, Harry, Comber of the Sea, Spike the great and glorious Milligoon, the merchant adventurer Peter the Seller, but most of all in honour of my hero who died this year, Eric of the Sykes, I do name my sword, Fred Nurk. And the author of this post has far too much time on his hands on a Sunday morning or is avoiding doing some other, more pressing work."

And here endeth the lay of Fred Nurk.

:eh:

ChaseAED

Postby ChaseAED » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Egesa - That which inspires fear.
Onþraung - Fear and awe.
Déaþlíeg - Deadly flame.
Heoruscearp - Very sharp.
Norþanbrand -Flame of the North*
Hwítgada - Glistening companion*

Here's some ideas ripped from the dictionary. Obviously it would be best to choose something that reflects a feature of your sword, or has something to do with your "character". *If you use these, check with an expert on Old-English as I may have got the construction wrong. Also these are OWS; I have no idea what these would be in the Northumbrian dialect. Again, ask someone who knows such things.

Aed Thompson, Thegn of Merca

http://www.thethegns.blogspot.com

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Swīn

:D

Aelle

Postby Aelle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks very much everyone,for all the replies :thumbup: ,having had a good look over them (and consulted with my good friend,Noggin,the Nog),i've decided to go with Aed's suggestion of Hwitgada as it goes well with the "mirror finish" of the blade,now all i need is a Lord who wants a few water monsters slaying :lol: .

kael

Postby kael » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:16 pm

find a good kenning?

Aelle

Postby Aelle » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Not yet!,that's a project for the long winter nights when the weather's cold and the inspiration hot :lol: .

Return to “410-1100”