Spinning and tablet weaving supplies

Moderator: Moderators

misstricoteuse

Spinning and tablet weaving supplies

Postby misstricoteuse » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:32 pm

I am trying to get hold of some Viking living history supplies and I have had absolutely no luck finding anything so far :(
Here is my shopping list

Tablet weaving cards (wooden ideally)
A Viking drop spindle
Carding boards
An authentic needle of some sorts for naarlbinding

Can anyone help?

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: Spinning and tablet weaving supplies

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 am

Try Wingham Wools near Rotherham. They have extensive stuff and a reasonable web site. If you visit the shop, however, only take a set amount of cash otherwise you may need a mortgage - its just sooooooooo tempting!

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:55 am

There's quite a few of us do wooden tablets , drop spindles and nalebinding needles.
my email address is lucythetudor@gmail.com
I make tablets of ash or beech, for 50p each, drop spindles of wood for £5 and nalebinding needles in bone or box wood for £2
Carders are a bit harder to find, Daegrad do some nice ones,
http://daegrad.co.uk/page24.php?view=pr ... category=3

Other suppliers of great skill and value also exist... :angel:

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:59 am

Wingham are good indeed, saw them yesterday at Wonderwool, in Wales, nice people, quality kit.
Most of us do use the kind of modern carders they sell, and their style of wooden drop spindles are nice for beginners to spin on too. They had not got any tablet weaving stuff on display yesterday, nor nalebinding, and these don't appear on the website, but I am happy to be corrected.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

Midland Spinner

Postby Midland Spinner » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:24 pm

We have stone, slate, wood & potsherd spindles, all of which would be good for Viking - all have hand cleft ash spindles and we've had very good feedback from archaeologists who've seen them.
We also have some carders which might suit - the card cloth is modern, but with handmade backs - we aim them at people who want them to look good from a distance, but get some proper use out of them as well.
http://alisonandhughshandmadethings.co.uk/?page_id=21

Sassyfrass

Postby Sassyfrass » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:58 pm

http://www.candlemaker.org.uk/textiles.htm do various weaving and nalbindning bits and bobs as well.

Lucy, how thick are your tablets if I may ask?

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Not at all intelligent, I'm afraid...

Sorry.
Approx three mm thick, when I do them in beech, if you like them thinner I can take them down to around two mm, but there is a subsequent loss of strength, so you have to handle them a little more carefully- ie not sit on them... I have nice tight grained beech in at the moment, so they aren't totally weedy, just a bit less strong than the three mm.

If you have a particular size, shape number of holes etc that you would like to have matched to extend a set you are already using, I am happy to do so.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

misstricoteuse

Postby misstricoteuse » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Wow thanks everyone :) much appreciation and good job its payday....

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue May 01, 2012 11:37 am

Midland Spinner wrote:We also have some carders which might suit - .

All of the early medieval (Saxon/Viking) combs I've seen are a lot more vicious-looking than that, handled lumps of wood with nails sticking out of them.
I think teasels were used as well though, they're free.

"I never said that I was here to help."

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Tue May 01, 2012 1:22 pm

As far as I'm aware, teasels were used to comb over fulled woven wool cloth,to give the smooth look, this was then trimmed or shaved for a fine finish. Actually doing the same de tangling with teasels has proved very difficult when I tried it- they disintegrate even when fresh, if strained too much.
Daegrad sell the nearest I have seen to the spikes on a handle look, without them being of a modern design, when Ashford make some lovely ones, in varying sizes and evil nature of spikes, they work brilliantly, but cost a fortune. I haven't tried those made by Daegrad, but they look like a good alternative.
I use modern carders (with old fashioned looking backs if doing so in front of public).

lucythetudor@gmail.com

Midland Spinner

Postby Midland Spinner » Tue May 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Medicus Matt wrote:
Midland Spinner wrote:We also have some carders which might suit - .

All of the early medieval (Saxon/Viking) combs I've seen are a lot more vicious-looking than that, handled lumps of wood with nails sticking out of them.
I think teasels were used as well though, they're free.

What you are describing are wool combs, not carders. The OP asked for cards - hence my reply. I have never seen a set of Viking cards (as opposed to combs) but that's what was requested.

This C15th image shows both types of tool the woman at the right is using a fixed comb (on a tree stump) with a hand held comb in her other hand.
The woman in the centre at the front is using cards similar to the ones we have for sale, except the card cloth on those would most likely have been leather with wires through it, instead of the rubberised cloth of the modern card material we've used - as I said in my original reply, we made that compromise so that you get a durable textile tool for your money instead of a fragile 'demonstration only' object.

Wool combing and carding are separate tasks and produce different products - they were generally carried out sequentially (hence having both tasks shown in the image) combing produces warp, while carded wool is really only fit for weft (there were several statutes to enforce that!)

As Lucy says, teasels don't work as carders - they were used for raising the nap on fulled cloth, but don't have the strength to card wool.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue May 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Midland Spinner wrote:combing produces warp, while carded wool is really only fit for weft (there were several statutes to enforce that!)

Ahh, I was wondering what the difference was, thank you.

Midland Spinner wrote:As Lucy says, teasels don't work as carders - they were used for raising the nap on fulled cloth, but don't have the strength to card wool.

We've used them for....I'm going to say combing because the yarn produced was used to warp up a WWL and produced cloth. Prickly buggers but they did the job.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Midland Spinner

Postby Midland Spinner » Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm

If you've used teasels to prepare wool then you were carding (the Latin name for teasel is Carduus - same etymology) even if you used the resulting thread for warp.
I should have been a bit more specific in my earlier post - combing allows you to produce a worsted spun yarn which is suitable for warps - but it can also be used for weft, while carded wool is used to spin a woollen thread which isn't really suitable for warp as it isn't as strong or as hard wearing - you can use it as a warp, but it has a tendency to fluff up and wear out even during the weaving process. Hence the statutes to stop people substituting the weaker but quicker to produce woollen thread for worsted warps. I won't say that that was shoddy work, because that's a whole other type of cloth!

vlasta

Postby vlasta » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:10 pm

It is quite an old thread, but in case someone's still interested in obtaining spindles, spindle whorls and weaving tablets - there's a Polish company that sells them:
Bone & Horn Items , Spindles & Spindle Whorls. The website is in Polish, but as far I know they ship abroad, and their e-mail is sklep@dlarekonstruktorow.pl .
P.S. I'm not in any way connected to the owners, I just have couple of their products and I find them really good. And just for the record 4 Polish Zloty = 1 Euro.

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:44 pm

There's a company trading on etsy as weeping goat who sell leather tablets. No idea if there's any evidence for these. They're thicker than wooden ones but seem to grip the warp better if you're tablet weaving vertically using one loom weight

nalbinding needles are fairly easy to make yourself just be prepared to waste a great deal of wood and spend some time with sandpaper. A small branch from a helpful tree will work fine.

Drop spindles are also quite easy, for the whorl cut a section from a piece of firewood

Return to “410-1100”