anglo-saxon sun hat?

Moderator: Moderators

Galington

anglo-saxon sun hat?

Postby Galington » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Can anyone help?

I'm one of those who suffer at the ravages of the sun and would like to get some sort of hat for shade. Would something with a brim be authentic? If so where could I find one?

Any help much appreciated!

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: anglo-saxon sun hat?

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 am

Many years ago, I got some very wide brimmed, shallow crowned straw hats for just this purpose. They do feature in some of the agricultural scenes in the background of illuminated manuscripts (but, as always, I cannot find the references just at the moment :worried: ).

As an alternative, however, and I use this much more frequently - make yourself a hood from some fairly lightweight linen. This offers shade for the head and face and is light and easy to transport without worrying about it getting crushed.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Bittersweet

Postby Bittersweet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:39 am

I got a lovely 'reed', I think, woven, wide brimmed hat when at TORM or Living History Fayre about 5 years ago. It was from a very nice Scottish lady. Fantastic quality and durable :D

Sorry I can't remember her name and my card that I had for her seems to have disappeared into the bowels of my filing system :$

Why can't life be simple?

Ulfar

Postby Ulfar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Like Neil, I frequently use a linen hood. They are very effective.

Some of our members have straw hats. They got them at the market at Tewkesbury, where there are usually several traders selling them in a variety of styles.

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:07 pm

A linen hood can also go under a helmet to help keep sweat out of your eyes or over a helmet to keep the sun off the metalwork so it does not heat up as quickly.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Galington

Postby Galington » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:27 pm

A hood sounds great, knowing me i'd get a totally inauthentic straw hat. Is there any simple hood patterns about?

Thanks

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Odin/Woden is usually depicted wearing a hat with a brim, supposedly to cover up his lack of an eye, so they must have had hats with brims

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:42 pm

FionaDowson wrote:Odin/Woden is usually depicted wearing a hat with a brim, supposedly to cover up his lack of an eye, so they must have had hats with brims

The earliest description of Odin wearing a broad-brimmed hat comes from the 13th century (Böglunga sögur) and all depictions of him wearing a hat post-date that saga.

"I never said that I was here to help."

kael

Postby kael » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 am

I'd be really interested in finding any manuscripts with head wear - apart from helmets and the occasional hood, I've never seen an identifiable hat on a contemporary viking age illumination (but let's face it, I haven't seen them all - yet!). When it was mentioned above that there might be a brimmed hat in an Anglo-Saxon context I immediately thought of the Julius Work Calendar, but alas, there's not even as much as a cap :(

There are caps in a few manuscripts that I know of - the Weinbau Psalter (approx 1180) has caps that look similar to the York and Dublin caps (but worn by men), and there's a lovely hood with a liripipe similar to the Hedeby hood. The Gallican Psalter has some lovely shawls and veils, and cracking haircuts.

Plenty of other wacky clothes in the various 'German' psalters too (eg. the Utrecht Psalter). I may have to trawl the BL's digital manuscript library for a few hours :D

Return to “410-1100”