Shaving and Razors etc

Moderator: Moderators

Mike Garrett
Post Centurion

Shaving and Razors etc

Postby Mike Garrett » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:17 am

Ok. I want a nice Vikingr portrayal.

S-WMBO is ok with that.

I want a nice full "mountain-man" beard, neatly groomed.

S-WMBO says no. Neatly pruned jawline beard etc or clean shaven.

So, I know some vikings shave, some had small neat beards etc, but how were these achieved and maintained?

I'm fairly sure they had razors, but can't find the info. May be I dreamt that bit and they just ruggedly scraped away with a saex.

Any enlightenment?

Answers on a postcard or in this thread.

Cheers

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: Shaving and Razors etc

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:51 pm

I came across a theory once that, at home in Scandanavia, the vast majority would have been clean shaven. Beards were only grown whilst on campaign. The reason for "campaign beards" is that each campaign started off with a sea voyage. Normal soap does not work well in sea water and fresh water is at a premium. Take into account the motion of a smallish vessel at sea, Do you really want to risk a blade near your throat whilst bobbing about in boat? Ergo - beards on boats. I never did find out the evidence for being clean shaven at home though.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Mike Garrett
Post Centurion

Re: Shaving and Razors etc

Postby Mike Garrett » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Good theory Neil!
Viking Answer Lady has some good stuff on it, but only razor pic there is a bronze age one.
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/hairstyl.shtml

Love this bit -

It is reported in the chronicle attributed to John of Wallingford that the Danes, thanks to their habit of combing their hair every day, of bathing every Saturday and regularly changing their clothes, were able to undermine the virtue of married women and even seduce the daughters of nobles to be their mistresses.

Return to “410-1100”