No Fly,s on a Viking

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Tiddles
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:54 am
Location: Wallingford near Oxford
Contact:

No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby Tiddles » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Having just started to get together my Viking outfit, I have discovered that there appears to be an important omission from Viking trousers.

That is the "fly" opening :o

With my medieval joined hose I simply unbutton the front flap and proceed as normal. But with Viking trousers I have there is a need to take off my belt and drop my trousers. Not an easy or pleasant experience in a well used porta loo :sick: When I enquired about putting in a simply "fly" using loops and buttons I was firmly told that no such a modification never happened :wtf:

Personally I find it hard to believe that not one individual got fed up having to drop there trousers every time they need a leek. That they decided to cut a slit in the front of there trousers and attach a peace of leather cord to keep it closed :?

So whats the truth about "fly,s" on a Viking :^)

Tiddles.



User avatar
Bad Viking
Post Centurion
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: The Dark Age
Contact:

Re: No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby Bad Viking » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:20 am

perhaps wee wee's weren't invented until the middle ages ? ask the authentyeggspurt's ?
:D


I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

User avatar
Captain Reech
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Derby

Re: No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby Captain Reech » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:53 am

One of those difficult questions, it's OK to say "But they must have thought of it, it's obvious" (I know, I've done it a lot!) but, as far as I am aware, there are no surviving examples of trousers with flies from the period in question (and the trousers you are wearing are based on reconstructions of surviving garments and garment fragments)

I understand your frustration however, It's one of the reasons I preferred to wear seperate leg hose with braes when reenacting the period in question, so much easier in the porta loos, and a long tunic helps preserve decency!


"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

User avatar
Medicus Matt
Post Knight
Posts: 1469
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby Medicus Matt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:09 am

Like most things, an openable fly seems like the simplest, most obvious idea in the world AFTER somebody else comes up with it.

There are no finds of Viking trousers intact enough to give a definitive answer but none of the Migration period trousers that have come out of the Scandinavian bog finds have open flies.

But, to be honest, if people can see that you've got an openable fly in your trousers, you probably want to lengthen your tunic a bit. :wink:


"I never said that I was here to help."

User avatar
lucy the tudor
Post Knight
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:57 am
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby lucy the tudor » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 am

Or maybe improve your belt so it's easier to take off.
Be grateful you're not a girly, we have to drop the lot every flipping time, and having a wee on a mountainside in a blizzard gives a lass worries about frostbite where she shouldn't ought to have to think about...
Big skirts in portaloos? Not fun, by the time you have it gathered round your ears out of the damp splashes left by the previous occupants, you're generally a bit frantic.


lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

User avatar
Alan E
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:18 am
Location: Somewhere in Southern Wales now (unless elsewhere)

Re: No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby Alan E » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:49 am

Tiddles wrote:Personally I find it hard to believe that not one individual got fed up having to drop there trousers every time they need a leek.
Tiddles.

Have you never worn tracky bottoms :crazy: ? Never worn a Gi?

Of course you don't need to drop the lot for a leek ]:) : Just undo waist, pull (front of) waistband down, lift the man out, leek, restore waistband and belt up. Simples! :lol:


'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

User avatar
Medicus Matt
Post Knight
Posts: 1469
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby Medicus Matt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:56 am

Alan E wrote:Of course you don't need to drop the lot for a leek ]:) : Just undo waist, pull (front of) waistband down, lift the man out, leek, restore waistband and belt up. Simples! :lol:

Having first tucked the hem of your tunic under your chin, and then carried out the entire operation without being able to see what you're doing.

That's why toilets at shows are in such a dreadful condition; early medieval reenactors.


"I never said that I was here to help."

User avatar
Captain Reech
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Derby

Re: No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby Captain Reech » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:54 pm

lucy the tudor wrote:Or maybe improve your belt so it's easier to take off.
Be grateful you're not a girly, we have to drop the lot every flipping time, and having a wee on a mountainside in a blizzard gives a lass worries about frostbite where she shouldn't ought to have to think about...
Big skirts in portaloos? Not fun, by the time you have it gathered round your ears out of the damp splashes left by the previous occupants, you're generally a bit frantic.


I thought medieval girlies didn't wear anything that required dropping, not the decent upstanding ones anyway....there are rumours that "Ladies of negotiable affection" wear lavender scented ones.....


"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Ratoonie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am

Re: No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby Ratoonie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Medicus Matt wrote:
Alan E wrote:Of course you don't need to drop the lot for a leek ]:) : Just undo waist, pull (front of) waistband down, lift the man out, leek, restore waistband and belt up. Simples! :lol:

Having first tucked the hem of your tunic under your chin, and then carried out the entire operation without being able to see what you're doing.

That's why toilets at shows are in such a dreadful condition; early medieval reenactors.



Trying to go to the toilet in maille makes for a intresting experiance. :)



User avatar
Tiddles
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:54 am
Location: Wallingford near Oxford
Contact:

Re: No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby Tiddles » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:07 am

Ratoonie wrote:
Medicus Matt wrote:
Alan E wrote:Of course you don't need to drop the lot for a leek ]:) : Just undo waist, pull (front of) waistband down, lift the man out, leek, restore waistband and belt up. Simples! :lol:

Having first tucked the hem of your tunic under your chin, and then carried out the entire operation without being able to see what you're doing.

That's why toilets at shows are in such a dreadful condition; early medieval reenactors.



Trying to go to the toilet in maille makes for a intresting experiance. :)


Tie a leather lace to the hem and a leather loop just below you chest. Loop the lace through the chest loop and it keeps it out of the way. I have something similar on my medieval armour to hold a skirt of plates out of the way. Although having front flap on hose dues mean no removing of belts.



Ratoonie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am

Re: No Fly,s on a Viking

Postby Ratoonie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Tiddles wrote:
Ratoonie wrote:
Trying to go to the toilet in maille makes for a intresting experiance. :)


Tie a leather lace to the hem and a leather loop just below you chest. Loop the lace through the chest loop and it keeps it out of the way. I have something similar on my medieval armour to hold a skirt of plates out of the way. Although having front flap on hose dues mean no removing of belts.



I've done it i normally just take the front of my under kurtil and hold it with my teeth, holds the maile outta the way.




Return to “410-1100”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests