Resources for 11C Norman kit

Moderator: Moderators

kael

Resources for 11C Norman kit

Postby kael » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Can anyone suggest some literature for relatively high status Norman kit mid-late 11th century?

I'm using Gale Owen-Crockers book on Anglo-Saxon dress as a general reference but if anyone can point me to any decent/reliable online sources, or books with some juicy plates to look at as well as sound research, i'd very much appreciate it. I'm generally struggling to find anything :/

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: Resources for 11C Norman kit

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:12 am

Have you tried the "Ospreys" on the Normans, I know they need to be taken with a pinch of salt but they are a good place to start.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

kael

Postby kael » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Good point! If nothing else there should be a list of references. Quite difficult to find anything specifically Norman, most things are lumped in with Viking/Anglo-Saxon works, and it's hard to differentiate.

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:06 am

Could this be because the Normans are just third/forth generation Viking pirates who went native?

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:33 am

WELL i WOULD SUGGEST the tapestry as a starter

and avoiding Osprey

also a few of the continental groups' sites are good for high stuff

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

kael

Postby kael » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:10 pm

Neil of Ormsheim wrote:Could this be because the Normans are just third/forth generation Viking pirates who went native?

Of course Neil, but there are differences, I'm particulary interested in the more subtle things; what does seperate a Norman landowner from a scandenavian, or english landowner (besides milage)? That's the sort of thing i'm also after - something about the character of these different people.

I've found one or two interesting sources on the early normans, and their exploits with the lombards. Good stuff so far - i might make agood Norman one day :P

Nigel wrote:WELL i WOULD SUGGEST the tapestry as a starter

and avoiding Osprey

also a few of the continental groups' sites are good for high stuff

Heh, first thing I bought was the 'complete' 'tapestry' compiled in a handy little book. Crocker comes in handy when analysing the 'tapestry' in fact, but would love to see more archaelology in terms of fabrics - and daily life. Got a buch of images from the various psalm books from around europe - some very dubious, unusual illustrations on those though! Plenty to do yet!

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Nigel wrote:WELL i WOULD SUGGEST the tapestry as a starter

Including the purple and blue horses? :lol:

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:30 pm

no for style

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27 am

"what does seperate a Norman landowner from a scandenavian, or english landowner (besides milage)? That's the sort of thing i'm also after - something about the character of these different people. "

A dodgy haircut and serfdom? :devil:

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Those dodgy Norman hairstyles are fascinating and short-lived; they appear all through the tapestry and the Norman army was allegedly reported as made up "entirely of monks" by hairy Saxon scouts; but by the time of William Rufus the young men at court wore their hair long, outraging monastic observers who said they all wore their hair like women. Anselm had a condemnation of the new fashion at the Council of Westminster in 1102, insisting that long-haired Normans should be banned from entering churches.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:00 pm

That Anselm, he was never one of the 'Cool' crowd.....

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Return to “410-1100”