Anglo Saxon questions on fashion

Moderator: Moderators

Andy

Anglo Saxon questions on fashion

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:17 am

Can somebody please help me to identify some of the fashion customs of the late Anglo Saxons. Some of my questions are,
what side of the body does the seax hang? Sword hang? Belt pouch hang? What style of belt pouch was the norm say 8th-9th C?
Your help is mostly appreciated.

A brave man is a free man.

bigrich72

Re: Anglo Saxon questions on fashion

Postby bigrich72 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:08 am

From my limited understanding, your sword hangs on the left, as its easyer to draw accross your body, and wont get caught in any clothing.

I tuck my sword straps under my sax to stop it banging.

I'm not sure about pouches, I was however under the impression that they are a "reenactorisum".

Rich - who may well be very wrong.

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Weapon should be hung on opposite side to weapon arm (i.e left for right handers/right for scumspawn demon snot left handers). Pouch makes most sense hung on opposite side to weapon so it does not get in the way. Vertically hung seax could be on either side, horizontally hung seax I usually have across my front. Pouch type is single suspension loop with a flap held by two "clothes fastener" type hooks. As the saxon/Englisc period progresses, sleeves get longer and tighter fitting, hemlines drop and the amount of embroidery gets excessive (assuming you are rich of course - if not, why do you have a sword?)

Check this out -

http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/guides.htm

for more details (at a cost for the Anglo Saxon Guide)

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Andy

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Thank you both.
Many years ago a found a forum specific to Anglo Saxon living history, never saved it to favourites, does anybody know of such a forum. All google searches I do for one come up with nothing re-enactment related.

A brave man is a free man.

Return to “410-1100”