anglo saxon turn or pastry shoes

Moderator: Moderators

daowin

anglo saxon turn or pastry shoes

Postby daowin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:19 pm

if anyone has a pattern for size 10 turn of pastry boot shoesthat would be helpful just PM me plz ta.

Darwin Culley

sally
Post Knight

Re: anglo saxon turn or pastry shoes

Postby sally » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:31 pm

A simpler way is to put on an old sock, wrap your foot in parcel tape making sure you stand up periodically so you don't compress your foot too much, then use permanent pen to mark on the outline, seam lines etc. Cut yourself out carefully and tidy up the outlines adding a seam allowance where relevant and you should have a pattern for a basic turn shoe that fits you exactly. This only works really well on the all one piece of leather versions, but can give a useful starting point for scaling up of down more complex multi piece patterns as well.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:15 pm

I know nothing of Saxons,but it sounds very much like mocassin patterns...if so,there are quite a few available on-line.......

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

bigrich72

Postby bigrich72 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:18 pm

I've just made a pair using sally's idea. It cost less than £20 and a few hours of my time. The dificult bit was turning them the right way out.

Dingo8MyBaby

Postby Dingo8MyBaby » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:15 am

bigrich72 wrote:I've just made a pair using sally's idea. It cost less than £20 and a few hours of my time. The dificult bit was turning them the right way out.

After making them put them in a bucket of hot water for an hour and use a broom handle inside the shoe to push the seams out. Stuff with paper and leave to air dry, cover in hide food and later a wax based sealer to keep the water out.

lacsonjake17

Postby lacsonjake17 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:42 pm

You just need to make your foot a pattern for the shoes. This could fit it very well. Put some 5 to 10 centimeters allowance depending on the part of curves.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:47 am

Dingo8MyBaby wrote:
bigrich72 wrote:I've just made a pair using sally's idea. It cost less than £20 and a few hours of my time. The dificult bit was turning them the right way out.

After making them put them in a bucket of hot water for an hour and use a broom handle inside the shoe to push the seams out. Stuff with paper and leave to air dry, cover in hide food and later a wax based sealer to keep the water out.

If the broomhandle trick fails I have been known to chew the shoe and hit it with a hammer until the b**ger finally does what I want it to! ( I do, really! It amuses my family no end watching me trying to make turn shoes.) If the leather is really stiff and uncomfortable applying neats foot oil will soften it and help keep the leather supple and waterproof.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

nathan

Postby nathan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:23 pm

http://www.conroidevey.co.uk
Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Return to “410-1100”