9th Century Anglo Saxon Brooches

Moderator: Moderators

Andy

9th Century Anglo Saxon Brooches

Postby Andy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Can anyone please help, am trying to find info on what brooch would be appropriate for a male 9th C Anglo Saxon. I dont want to go with the easy choice and get a penanular, were the annular still in use?
Can somebody also tell me, were two comonly worn? If so, how?

A brave man is a free man.

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: 9th Century Anglo Saxon Brooches

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:44 am

Disc broaches are what you want for fastening clothing, flat discs as the saucer ones are earlier than 9th century. penanulars are hiberno-norse and annulars, especially the false anulars are irish.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Andy

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:25 am

What sort of items of clothing would you fasten with a brooch? I am thinking cloak, but are there other items needing fastening for the male?

Could anybody also please help with any info regarding 9th Century Anglo Saxon clothing? eg belts, pouches, shoes. I am starting off in this period and really dont know where to start.
any help GREATLY appreciated.
here is a picture of a bit of thrown together garb. Please tell me what needs to be altered. The shoes are the Parliament st. shoes 10th Century (I know of none earlier) The leg wrappings are held with bronze triangular hooks. Belt is tablet woven with plain bone buckle, leather pouch and seax. At the moment its a bit of a mish mosh so I do need HELP!

A brave man is a free man.

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:03 am

Have a look here

http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/index.htm

it has links to many of our general resources. I know we're predominantly Viking but there's quite a lot of Anglo-Saxon stuff too.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Tchipakkan

Postby Tchipakkan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:08 pm

The double brooch thing was specifically a female fashion. I think disk or penanular would be more likely than annular, but I'm more familiar with the 6/7th c. Tchipakkan

Return to “410-1100”