lang sax? long sax? lang seax? long seax?

Moderator: Moderators

dbob.culley2

lang sax? long sax? lang seax? long seax?

Postby dbob.culley2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:14 pm

just trying to buy one of the above but not sure what it is called. i got told that paul binns did them but i cant see them on his website any helpful pointers as to where i could get one preferably under 60 quid thanks all.

WorkMonkey3

Re: lang sax? long sax? lang seax? long seax?

Postby WorkMonkey3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:05 pm

Are you craxy? You'd be lucky to get a decent short seax for £60. I just paid £80 for a 11" blade seax from Tim Noyes. A lang seax is basically a sword with less fancy hilt furniture. Double your budget, and then add some if you want one. Aren't you the new guy who was looking for a group to join a while back? Do you have a spear and a short seax sorted yet? If not, don't waste money on a sword, unless you've joined the vike, in which case you're still going to need £200+ for a sword. Paul Binns waiting list starts at what? 6 months? or is it more than that? Most weapon smiths can make anything you can give them a design for, they just dont have time to have photos of everything on their website.

Tallphil84

Postby Tallphil84 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:35 pm

Langsaex is I think correct. If you want one then you'll need to comission one. Binns does them as do other armours who take comissions. You will need to decide on size, style (norse or saxon), hilt material, and if you opt for a norse style then what style pommel to choose. The resulting weapons can be very very nice to use but single edge weapons take some getting used to. I have an 18" blade saxon style one that is lovley at going round shields, whilst longer blades with norse hilt tend to be slightly ligter than similar size swords.

Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverence, Self controll and Indomitable Spirit

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:43 am

Might help if you define what you mean by 'Langseax' and what period/culture you want it for. Best to pick out a relevent archaeological example and then talk to Mr Binns or Mr Noyes about having one made.

"I never said that I was here to help."

WorkMonkey3

Postby WorkMonkey3 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:29 pm

Tallphil84 wrote:Langsaex is I think correct.

Seax

Tallphil84

Postby Tallphil84 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:13 pm

never did learn how to spell.

WorkMonkey3

Postby WorkMonkey3 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:36 pm

Longsex always sounds better anyway :wink:

Tallphil84

Postby Tallphil84 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:29 pm

I know someone with a GDFB scram, its ok though riveted handle is wrong as far as I know. however it is not a langseax. Blade is only 1footish

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:41 pm

Tallphil84 wrote:I know someone with a GDFB scram, its ok though riveted handle is wrong as far as I know. however it is not a langseax. Blade is only 1footish

have looked at the link?
there are several on the site.

Tallphil84

Postby Tallphil84 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:53 pm

didn't see the proper langseax further down. it's only correct for early saxon though, later saxon doesn't have a pomel also the grip should be wood not wrapped leather.
Norse style is completely different to anything on there.

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:58 pm

Tallphil84 wrote:didn't see the proper langseax further down. it's only correct for early saxon though, later saxon doesn't have a pomel also the grip should be wood not wrapped leather.

yes mate, but......

origianal post
just trying to buy one of the above but not sure what it is called. i got told that paul binns did them but i cant see them on his website any helpful pointers as to where i could get one preferably under 60 quid thanks all.

not really period specific is it.
just trying to help not hinder.

Tallphil84

Postby Tallphil84 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:55 pm

The original poster hasn't replyed since praehapse we scared them away. Come back so we can bombarded you questions like exactly what part of the period do you do? what group are you part of? (it does affect weapon styles due to differnt AO's) and how do you envisiage using the resulting weapon?

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Tallphil84 wrote:The original poster hasn't replyed since praehapse we scared them away. Come back so we can bombarded you questions like exactly what part of the period do you do? what group are you part of? (it does affect weapon styles due to differnt AO's) and how do you envisiage using the resulting weapon?

yes i think some people are scared off by some replys. it can be quit daunting when first starting out, i think the more helpful approach is probably best with this sort of thread

WorkMonkey3

Postby WorkMonkey3 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:32 pm

Are you trying to say im overly aggressive and unhelpful in my handling of people seeking help?

..me? never :wink:

WorkMonkey3

Postby WorkMonkey3 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:35 pm

Tallphil84 wrote:later saxon doesn't have a pomel also the grip should be wood not wrapped leather.

Not sure if we can speak with any kind of confidence as to whether Englisc long seax grips were leather bound or not, or whether they were even used in the later saxon period.

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:36 pm

WorkMonkey3 wrote:Are you trying to say im overly aggressive and unhelpful in my handling of people seeking help?

..me? never :wink:

i have never said that to you, i have said you got chiken legs though 8-)

Tallphil84

Postby Tallphil84 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:12 pm

WorkMonkey3 wrote:Are you trying to say im overly aggressive and unhelpful in my handling of people seeking help?

No but others might. Everything I have read (still not a huge amount) sujests wooden handles (possibly with leather over that, but thats only conjecture)

Battersea seax is 10th century I would clasiffy that as late saxon but that is the comment of someone who has not noted when early, middle and late seperate.

WorkMonkey3

Postby WorkMonkey3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Battersea seax has no intact grip, nor do any other seaxs, or swords for that matter so trying to say whether or not they had leather on would be impossible I would have thought. It's conjectural, when you have plain wood thats waxed or polished it tends to get sweat build ups, and dirt trapped in the grain that makes it go all black, ugly, and slippy. Putting leather on means when the leather gets worn down, greasy, dirty etc it can just be taken off and replaced, as apposed to having to take the whole hilt apart and sand the grip down.

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:01 pm

WorkMonkey3 wrote:Battersea seax has no intact grip, nor do any other seaxs, or swords for that matter so trying to say whether or not they had leather on would be impossible I would have thought. It's conjectural, when you have plain wood thats waxed or polished it tends to get sweat build ups, and dirt trapped in the grain that makes it go all black, ugly, and slippy. Putting leather on means when the leather gets worn down, greasy, dirty etc it can just be taken off and replaced, as apposed to having to take the whole hilt apart and sand the grip down.

common sense really init?like most things, a bit of thought and any one can get there in the end. we all bow to your superior knowledge monkeyboy, as ever 8-)

i'll kneel at your chiken legs next time i see you :wink:

Tallphil84

Postby Tallphil84 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:34 pm

From training I preffer a wooden grip to a leather wraped one put that is personal choice so workmonkey is right it is all conjecture. We shall just have to hope for some find's to settle this issue. Anyone know of any unfound seax's with intact grips :wink:

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Tallphil84 wrote:Anyone know of any unfound seax's with intact grips :wink:

Unfound ones? Not yet. :wink:

However, I do know of many seaxes that have varying degrees of intact hilt fittings, including one German one, late mid-Saxon (ie 8th/9th C) which has traces of leather binding over the wooden grip.

But there's a big difference in what was being used on the continent (especially in terms of blade size and style) and in Britain.

dbob.culley2

Postby dbob.culley2 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:46 pm

im part of the vikings and im just trying to get something light but a good weapon thanks all. :-)

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:15 pm

dbob.culley2 wrote:im part of the vikings

I hate to think how many centuries that sweeping statement could cover
Based on your posts from last summer you are a 14/15 year old. Have you joined joined a particular Viking or Saxon group yet?
Have you discussed with them what suitable weapons for your status would actually be? Also what age you will be allowed to take the field?
Can I suggest you spend your money on good soft kit first allowing for the physical changes still to come..
Good Luck

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:30 pm

dbob.culley2 wrote:im part of the vikings

Which part? :wink:

Seriously, if you've joined the Vike then
a) Well done.
b) Talk to the bod in charge of your local group (Tony from Hrafnslith?) to get his/her advice on what you should be buying. Different groups playing in the same time period have different rules.

Tallphil84

Postby Tallphil84 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:57 pm

yay we didn't scare you away.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:43 am

I'm looking for a similar item myself at the moment, these look fairly good value:

http://www.knivesbynick.co.uk/weapons_axes.htm

£65-£70 depending on how long you want.

I've not bought one yet but I've heard they're pretty sound. Anyone got any feedback to offer before I buy?

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:55 am

I've also heard suggested (And this was some years ago when I was with Regia so opinions may have changed) that wrapping the handle with tarred linen thread (for the same reasons Workmonkey3 has suggested leather) would also help improve grip when the hands got sweaty (Seems a moot point as we'll be wearing gloves for H&S purposes but it's nice to have a practical reason for any little personal touches you add to your kit.)

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 am

Captain Reech wrote:I've not bought one yet but I've heard they're pretty sound. Anyone got any feedback to offer before I buy?

I've had mixed service from Nick- first item came promptly, and with extra goodies, the second item took five months of badgering, despite an original ETA of three weeks, and threats of County Court to get my order out of him.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks Phil, it's fairly time sensitive so I'll contact him and see if he has any on the ground first, I'm assuming a stock product will have less of a delay than a MTO item. Otherwise I shall be back scouring the web!

Return to “410-1100”