pouch and shoe leather and thread

Moderator: Moderators

dbob.culley2

pouch and shoe leather and thread

Postby dbob.culley2 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:39 pm

just wondering how i could get hold of some thread to use to sew a pouch and shoes? also wheres a good place to get the leather.

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: pouch and shoe leather and thread

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:57 am

Any good quality linen thread will work for sewing pouches or shoes. Where in the country are you, there are lots of places selling linen threads in my area (Leeds) but that wont do you a lot of good if you are posting from Australia or any other colony of Scotland (e.g. the south of England). For leather, chat up your local independant, shoe repair bod. They can often get various grades of leather in sorts of quantities you would need - otherwise you may find yourself having to buy a 1/2 hide.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:49 pm

I used to buy linen thread in bulk from Le Prevo and wax it myself (always run your thread through beeswax first, stops it from tangling up, parting and snagging), although you can find small (25 yard) reels of pre-waxed thread in haberdashers.
Go to website, select linen thread. Buy.

These days I use stuff from ireland which seems to be much tougher than other linen thread I've used.

As for leather, you're in West Dorset aren't you? There's a palce called Leather Supplies in Wimbourne or you could try Midgely's in South Somerset, which is where I usually go. Always something useful on one of their bargain/seconds racks as well as a huge stock of excellent hides of all types.

"I never said that I was here to help."

daowin

Postby daowin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:14 pm

also hemp thread that has been waxed is good.

Darwin Culley

Return to “410-1100”