Iron shield rim - how to attach?

Moderator: Moderators

Trading-Dragon

Iron shield rim - how to attach?

Postby Trading-Dragon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 pm

I've been toying with attaching an iron rim to an old round shield I've got. Cut a bit of sheet metal into segments and am now wondering how to best attach it to the ply.

Was considering either blued carpet tacks or solid rivets but I'm not sure if the carpet tacks wouldn't just pop out and the rivets are kinda pricey.

What else could one use?

Books are like imprisoned souls until someone takes them down from a shelf and frees them...

nathan

Postby nathan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:49 am

Please don't, You will hurt somebody with it when it burrs due to hits from swords. It would be banned in any society I have ever been a member of for that reason.

Assuming you don't mind cutting your mates and your society allows it (let us know who they are so we never end up facing it pls), the only way to secure any metal rim is to use rivets through both sides, clout nails are cheap and work nicely (i use them to rivet anything i need), B&Q carries them in a couple of lengths 1\4 the price of rivets (and that assumes you buy rivets by the thousand), blued tacks won't work.

N.

http://www.conroidevey.co.uk
Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Trading-Dragon

Postby Trading-Dragon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:34 am

Thanks for the hint. Shall try clout nails!

And I wouldn't worry too much - the shield is getting cut down and made into a buckler for late medieval use. And considering that we already allow Uncle Roger's steel heater shields for a bash-about in full tin, a steel-rimmed buckler really doesn't stand out that much.

Books are like imprisoned souls until someone takes them down from a shelf and frees them...

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:33 am

Wasn't the sutton hoo's all metal rim secured by stictching and clamped at intervals.

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:42 am

Just clamped I think, 6 big ones and 12 of the little dragon headed ones.

Same with the Vendel/Valsgarde ones.

But then I don't think they were too worried about scratching someone with burred edges. :wink:

"I never said that I was here to help."

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:54 am

How would a shield rim ever come into contact with someone? Certainly less so than a burred sword or axe blade and they go flying over just about every battlefield.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Monkey boy you ever fought me :D

shileds are aggressive things which is why as Nathan says we bann metal edging cos if I gubbe dyou in the mush with one ith may hurt

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Geeet out. You Norman types are armoured head to foot, if hitting each other with a mace doesn't hurt how is a little edge on a shield rim going to hurt. I suppose shoving someone with a sield could cut them, especially on clothed parts. Tin clad wang monkeys should be fine though.

Trading-Dragon

Postby Trading-Dragon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:15 pm

We shiny knights are pretty much tinned up allright. 8)

I just noticed something about the buckler I've made though: after using it properly yesterday it's developed some lovely dents in the boss and a few nicks in the leather facing yet the edging is entirely unscratched.

I reckon because of the way you fight with them Vike body shields get more edge cuts than small hand held bucklers. Might even get away with not having a rim on them at all...?

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:45 am

I have also found on very small saxon buckler sized shields I've used, most shots end up on the boss or face, mainly because you're using it actively, the boss is used to disengage opponants weapons, if it misses the boss, it nicks the face, but you rarely use the edge to absorb the blow like you would a bigger garage door shield.

Gyrthofhwicce

Re: Iron shield rim - how to attach?

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:39 pm

I've a metal rim on the facing of my round shield, it's held on with rivets, doesnt burr, or at least hasn't done in the 2 years i've been using it. And anyway in pre battle checks it should be checked for burred edges just like the swords and filed down.

any society that doesnt check for burred edges on any metal implement before battle shouldnt carry on any longer in my opinion. :wink:

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Return to “410-1100”