Gyrthofhwicce

Re: This years Battle of Hastings - Kit Standards

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Nigel wrote:2012 archers welcome

it was pretty inspiring watching 120+ of em shoot up hill

less inspiring when we found out the next day they ahd hit nowt

And the blooy Germans who were run by the chap from Chity CHitty Bang Bang

small on this year with c 400 on the pitch

did Conquest get the contract for running the 2012 big one then?

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:34 pm

NOPE

But we will be there

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

surofdunholm

Postby surofdunholm » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Nigel wrote:NOPE

But we will be there

Ahhh so Hastings is an open event...

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:44 am

Don't know BUT Conquest have a seperate contract for this year The Vikings are organising it and we are adding a ceertain Gravitas to the forces of righteousness so I would contact them

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:42 am

Nigel wrote:Don't know BUT Conquest have a seperate contract for this year The Vikings are organising it and we are adding a ceertain Gravitas to the forces of righteousness so I would contact them

Gravitas or Gravity? :D Slight difference.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:01 pm

may be BUT we do win :D

Ecce

Postby Ecce » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Neil of Ormsheim wrote:
Nigel wrote:Don't know BUT Conquest have a seperate contract for this year The Vikings are organising it and we are adding a ceertain Gravitas to the forces of righteousness so I would contact them

Gravitas or Gravity? :D Slight difference.

Definitely Gravity. I'm packing the food away special. I intend to attack with orbital javelins.

Pass the mace, vicar!

Ecce - member of the GAS and follower of the Axe of Shining Dentition.

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Benedict

Postby Benedict » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Tsk! A deeply shocking anachronism in this photo! He should NOT be wearing a spectacle helm if it's meant to be 1066! :D

Seriously, if you are coming to Hastings (or any other show 1050+), please bring a plain conical helm. Domed helmets (like the Gjermundbu and other spectacle helms) seem to have dropped out of favour in the tenth century; by 1066 they really were antiques. This is something which is really quite obvious, and although we try to be as accommodating as possible, it's much easier to warn in advance than to send someone off from the muster to hunt for another helmet.

Benedict
(The Vikings authenti-team)

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:08 pm

So like the chap second from the right then

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:28 am

Benedict wrote:Tsk! A deeply shocking anachronism in this photo! He should NOT be wearing a spectacle helm if it's meant to be 1066! :D

Seriously, if you are coming to Hastings (or any other show 1050+), please bring a plain conical helm. Domed helmets (like the Gjermundbu and other spectacle helms) seem to have dropped out of favour in the tenth century; by 1066 they really were antiques.

Unless that one that turned up in the River Tees turns out to be genuine.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Benedict

Postby Benedict » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm always happy to learn more - I haven't come across the Tees find, so I'd be interested in any details (including any dating - though I appreciate it might be difficult if it's from a river).

The evidence from depictions (manuscripts and coins) does point rather strongly towards conical helmets being very common (I was going to say "normal", but I won't), on the assumption that heads weren't triangular. Whether the 'coxcomb' headgear represents a metal helmet, a non-metal helmet (leather?) or a civvies Phrygian cap (potentially felted) doesn't seem to have any consensus.

Domed helmets are well attested earlier on (seventh to ninth/tenth centuries), though the fashion seems to have been changing in the tenth century; by the eleventh conical is the norm for headgear-that-is-unquestionably-a-helmet. The ‘Gjermundbu’ helmet (buried mid-tenth century) fits in the tradition of the sixth and seventh-century Vendel/Valsgard helmets, which were highly decorated and found in royal graves.

Given the longevity of military kit and the value on metalwork of any sort I wouldn't want to rule out much earlier helmets still being in use. However, the armies of 1066 were composed of well equipped semi-professional and professional aristocratic warriors able to afford good equipment. In this context I'd be surprised to find a thegn, miles or hirdman wearing a helmet inherited from grandfather's grandfather.

On the basis of the available evidence (and the fact that spectacle helms are, unusually, something that will stand out from a distance), we will and do take a fairly strong period-specific view. If you're reading this and are coming to Hastings, you'll know in advance and can hopefully bring kit accordingly, so we'll look forward to seeing you.

khazadvarn

Postby khazadvarn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know if its to late to get your name down to participate this year? theirs a few guys from my group who want to go as we've had one of our shows Cancelled.

Cheers

Return to “410-1100”