Anglo Saxon Embroidery patterns

Moderator: Moderators

Gyrthofhwicce

Anglo Saxon Embroidery patterns

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:04 pm

Does any one know of any books or websites where i can find some typical Anglo Saxon embroidery, Preferably later style 10\11th C.

I dont want to go the usual zoomorphic Celt/Viking style, as i have that on other kit, i just fancied something that was more typically Saxon.

Cheers

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Blood and a Norman bootprint perhaps ?

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

dragonskie2000

Postby dragonskie2000 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:41 pm

The British Museum Pattern Book - Early Medieval Designs by Eva Willson. Contains lots and lots of line drawings ranging from early 6th century to 13th century. Most of it is carvings and manuscripts but I'm sure they could be transposed to embroidery.

Or there is the Llan-gores textile which is Byzantian in style. Oh and the St Cutheberts stuff.

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Nigel wrote:Blood and a Norman bootprint perhaps ?

Very funny Nigel, but i seem to remember the days when it was conquest complaining about my footprints on there tunics, bunch of winging Normans. :-)

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:55 pm

dragonskie2000 wrote:The British Museum Pattern Book - Early Medieval Designs by Eva Willson. Contains lots and lots of line drawings ranging from early 6th century to 13th century. Most of it is carvings and manuscripts but I'm sure they could be transposed to embroidery.

Or there is the Llan-gores textile which is Byzantian in style. Oh and the St Cutheberts stuff.

Thanks Dragonskie, much appreciated.

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:02 pm

[quote
Does any one know of any books or websites where i can find some typical Anglo Saxon embroidery, Preferably later style 10\11th C.

I dont want to go the usual zoomorphic Celt/Viking style, as i have that on other kit, i just fancied something that was more typically Saxon. quote]

The problem is provonencing things that eare TYPICALLY Anglo- Saxi=on and also in period. Inhabited vine scrolls feturing acanthusscrolls with birds and beasts etc. are typically Anglo-Saxon but many people would limit them them a much earlier time (typically 6-9th century when they appear as stone carvings) It would be much more convenient to appear to be an Anglo-Dane when Mammen style embroidery would be emminently acceptable. Try looking up the Mammen find on the web, they are very well doccumented.[/quote]

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

dragonskie2000

Postby dragonskie2000 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:04 pm

Typical Anglo-Saxon style is a bit like having the Changing Rooms team, several bottles of Vino Collapso, a historical department store and left with the instructions: off you go have fun.

They had a definate pick and mix approach to style.

By tracing the styles back, you can see that they quite cheerfully nicked any idea or image that looked good (especially if it came from Byzantium). The Llan-gors textile is an excellent example and securely dated to around 924 (? can't quite recall). It is in style Byzantium with the tree of life (which also crops up in stone work around the same time in York Minster and else where), and as rightly pointed out by Neil inhabited with animals (in this case ducks/swans - which look a bit Egyptian).

The copy of David composing Psalms from the Canterbury psalter (700) shows remarkable similarities with a Byzantine ivory, 5th c amongst other bits

There's a minature made around the end of the 7th c that was copied from and Italian import - think it shows Ezra writing.

The roundals which are considered earlier orginate from Syria. Those are just a few I can think of.

These are also good books to look at:

The Golden Age Of Anglo Saxon Art
Byzantine and Medieval Art
Charlemagne and his World - Friedrich Heer
Art of The Byzantine Era - David Talbot Rice[/quote]

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Embroidery for Clothing: Anglo-Saxon has some photos of some interesting bits, including the Maaseik embroideries and a fragment "tentatively identified as being of Anglo-Saxon workmanship," as well as the maniple and stole of St. Cuthbert.

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:40 am

Thanks Karen, that's excellent.

Thought people might be interested to know that DMC are doing linen embroidery thread, I think some of the colours would be good authentic matches to natural dyes.

I bought mine from here

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran1892-0.html

Wiblick

purple peril

Postby purple peril » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:20 pm

We live in Durham and went to see the above-mentioned maniple and stole of St Cuthbert in the Cathedral treasury last year. It's amazing that something so fragile has survived this long. Admittedly it's now in a glass case at a controlled temperature and humidity and low lighting, but it's still really cool to be so close to something that old.

So, Gyrth, you going to have a go at some Opus Anglicanum with laid gold threads? Woo, the Blingmeister!!

Braidwoman

Postby Braidwoman » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:12 am

dragonskie2000 wrote:The Llan-gors textile is an excellent example and securely dated to around 924 (? can't quite recall). It is in style Byzantium with the tree of life (which also crops up in stone work around the same time in York Minster and else where), and as rightly pointed out by Neil inhabited with animals (in this case ducks/swans - which look a bit Egyptian).

T

The Llangorse textile is probably late 9th century, as the crannog where it was found was destroyed in 915, but the textile appeared to be very worn. As well as the ducks, it has three-legged "lions" (which look like scottie dogs) and two-legged other similar-looking beasties with long noses. You can see some images here: http://www.walespast.com/article.shtml?id=12

There is also a more than even chance that it is not embroidered, but woven in a unique way (bad news for an embroidery thread, sorry!).

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:33 pm

purple peril wrote:We live in Durham and went to see the above-mentioned maniple and stole of St Cuthbert in the Cathedral treasury last year. It's amazing that something so fragile has survived this long. Admittedly it's now in a glass case at a controlled temperature and humidity and low lighting, but it's still really cool to be so close to something that old.

So, Gyrth, you going to have a go at some Opus Anglicanum with laid gold threads? Woo, the Blingmeister!!

Maybe not me, but the wife has offered. It's about time i wore something as befits my rank, People might actually listen to me then :)

Just want something posh for Hastings, whilst i stand at the top of the hill for 2 hours.

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:55 pm

[quote Just want something posh for Hastings, whilst i stand at the top of the hill for 2 hours.]

You'll be lucky if you only have to wait two hours to die! I've seen the preliminary research for the script - WOW! Its going to be fun, fun, fun.[/quote]

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:43 pm

Just want something posh for Hastings, whilst i stand at the top of the hill for 2 hours.

Wear something posh for 2 hours, then fall in the mud whilst the Normans walk over you.

Please explain the logic (?!)

Brendan C

Steven

Postby Steven » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:31 am

Brendan C wrote:Wear something posh for 2 hours, then fall in the mud whilst the Normans walk over you.

Brendan C

Oh come on, Brendan. Use your head! You see who is wearing the shiniest/cleanest/poshest kit and you head for him during the battle. They're there as beacons for everyone else.

I thought everyone did that... :twisted:

The SK made me do it!

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:40 am

Neil of Ormsheim wrote:[quote Just want something posh for Hastings, whilst i stand at the top of the hill for 2 hours.]

You'll be lucky if you only have to wait two hours to die! I've seen the preliminary research for the script - WOW! Its going to be fun, fun, fun.
[/quote]

Mummy's not planning on re-writing history is she. We should all know the script by now.
1 - March on
2- Stand there
3- Stand there
4 - Stand there
5 - Hit Norman Scum
5 - Die reluctantly
6 - March off

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:42 am

Brendan C wrote:

Wear something posh for 2 hours, then fall in the mud whilst the Normans walk over you.

Brendan C

Well Brendan,
Unlike most Normans, who feel that they are all Immortal, and absolutley none of them died at Hastings I intend to leave a good looking corpse, and know that I did my bit for the rightful King and country.

:twisted:

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:44 am

Steven wrote:
Brendan C wrote:Wear something posh for 2 hours, then fall in the mud whilst the Normans walk over you.

Brendan C

Oh come on, Brendan. Use your head! You see who is wearing the shiniest/cleanest/poshest kit and you head for him during the battle. They're there as beacons for everyone else.

I thought everyone did that... :twisted:

Bring it on, no seriously please, bring it on. :twisted:

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:12 pm

Neil

Given the progress of the Battle of Hasings is very well documented and generally accepted I would view any major changes with a certain amount of scepticsm.

Unless of course your preliminary research has thrown up a new source none of us where aware of

Gyrth given the happenings and the current state of play I would be very careful about issuing challenges you may get more than you wish for. Likewise Brendan stop it.

Then again I dont recall seeing your mug in the centre where hte heavies slug it out.

Nige

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:26 pm

Nigel wrote:Neil

Given the progress of the Battle of Hasings is very well documented and generally accepted I would view any major changes with a certain amount of scepticsm.

Unless of course your preliminary research has thrown up a new source none of us where aware of

Gyrth given the happenings and the current state of play I would be very careful about issuing challenges you may get more than you wish for. Likewise Brendan stop it.

Then again I dont recall seeing your mug in the centre where hte heavies slug it out.

Nige

Cant speak for Brendan, but i'm only joking, but then he started it, he did, he did. He said i was going to be walked on, and it's not fair. and as it goes you wont have seen me in the centre cos i'm normally organising the Right Flank, plus you complained enough times about me and my brother they wont let us play with you any more :lol:

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:32 pm

Ah tru now I know who you are

He did and he will get a slap and need a ladder if he tries to walk over you

thats cos thye wont let us use panzer fausts

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:37 pm

Nigel wrote:Ah tru now I know who you are

:lol: Ha Panzer fausts, we eat them for Breakfast :twisted: Along with anything else that walks in front of us. :lol:

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:51 pm

I'll make sure Brendan does then

goes to evil lair to hatch evil plan

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Nigel wrote:Ah tru now I know who you are

Does he need the ladder so that he can get the slap as well, or is that Simon "Hobbit of Death" Diment? :twisted:

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:18 pm

Gyrthofhwicce wrote:
Brendan C wrote:

Brendan C

Well Brendan,
Unlike most Normans, who feel that they are all Immortal, and absolutley none of them died at Hastings I intend to leave a good looking corpse, and know that I did my bit for the rightful King and country.

Believe it or not Gyrth, I was joking as well; can well relate to the good looking corpse mentality - did the same in Hastings 1995 when Conquest literally walked over me.

There is a Brendan shaped indentation on the top of Senlac to this day

Brendan

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:19 pm

Gyrthofhwicce wrote:
Brendan C wrote:

Brendan C

Well Brendan,

Believe it or not Gyrth, I was joking as well; can well relate to the good looking corpse mentality - did the same in Hastings 1995 when Conquest literally walked over me.

There is a Brendan shaped indentation on the top of Senlac to this day

Brendan

Steven

Postby Steven » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:40 pm

We call it flyting... :wink:

The SK made me do it!

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:47 pm

Mummy's not planning on re-writing history is she?

No but she is working on refining and improving the twiddly bits......

The real fun at Hasti9ngs will be trying to get that many people all doing the right thing at the right time. Its bad enough with just us but with everyone else as well? And the fact that orders will have to be translated for some people. Oh Joy! Another reason I don't mind loosing this one.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:45 am

Neil of Ormsheim wrote:
Mummy's not planning on re-writing history is she?

No but she is working on refining and improving the twiddly bits......[/quote]

I wish she'd stop interfering with the twiddly bits, it's very off putting when your trying to run an army.

purple peril

Postby purple peril » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:12 pm

Interfering with twiddly bits is what Frania's renowned for, isn't it?..and Auntie Sandie. Most men I know in the Vike don't feel they've properly 'arrived' unless they have had various bits interfered with by either of these scary women :lol:

Return to “410-1100”