viking shield find

Moderator: Moderators

Lena

Postby Lena » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:23 pm

And if you go to the Danish page, you get the most recent research. An online translator will hopefully let you get an idea what the text is about, and there are lots of pretty pictures!

http://www.kongensborge.dk/index.php?pa ... ens_dagbog

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:53 pm

if the monky turns up saying it aint a shield .................burn him :twisted: :wink:

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:38 am

Table top!

robin wood

Postby robin wood » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:50 am

Hobbitstomper wrote:Table top!

Yeh right :D

and the little bit in the middle isn't a handle at all it's a eeeeeerm

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:15 am

Are you sure that is the same object? I'd have thought the one they dug up was still in a lab being cleaned and covered in chemicals. It has got a hole in the middle and I couldn’t see any sign of a handle. The hole is just where you’d stick a flower pot if you had a table like the nice round ones in the Utrecht psalter and wanted a fixed ornament.

Could also be a cart wheel to with a hole for an axle as well.

robin wood

Postby robin wood » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:39 am

Hobbitstomper wrote:Are you sure that is the same object? I'd have thought the one they dug up was still in a lab being cleaned and covered in chemicals. It has got a hole in the middle and I couldn’t see any sign of a handle. The hole is just where you’d stick a flower pot if you had a table like the nice round ones in the Utrecht psalter and wanted a fixed ornament.

Could also be a cart wheel to with a hole for an axle as well.

Fair questions.

I lifted it from the Danish page Lena posted. The picture I posted and the link I now realise are from sept 2008 and the other from dec 08

here is the google translated text with the second pictures, it is the same object.

SKJOLDNYT December 2008

Viking shield, which in September was excavated in a backhoe around Trelleborgs in Slagelse have now examined the first preliminary study on Moesgård Museum Science Division. Conservator Jesper Frederiksen is responsible for preserving and further studies on the shield. So far, the following results obtained:

Was shield covered with leather?
Trelleborgskjoldets plate has a diameter of approx. 85 cm and is composed of 7 panels of pine. These are of varying thickness, from ca. 8 mm in the central part of local less than 5 mm at the outer edge of carapace. Near peripheral carapace is a single inequality series of small through wells. The lack of signs of corrosion traces in and around gaps advocating against that we have with the rivet holes to do. Rather, we must assume that they are the remains of a sewn by a surface cover to the shield plate.
Such reinforcements surface or upholstery of leather or parchment, which is ugarvet Animal, known from both past and contemporaneous discovery of shields - for example from the discovery of shields in vådbundsområder Iron Age, some shields were covered with parchment. The many findings from the shield of arms offer findings from particular Illerup Ådal at Skanderborg shows that the round Iron Age shields in some cases were covered with ugarvet skins, which should enhance and maintain træskjoldets træstave together so swords and øksehug better glided by.
Viking known fragments of shields from the grave finds in Birka and a well-shield from Latvia. Another possibility is that there may have been a reinforcement of the shield brim with a kind of leather or similar. Although during recording and cleaning of shield boards have been taken into account any residual organic material is still not found trace of Animal at Trelleborg shield.

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:52 am

*walks in*

*walks out*

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Return to “410-1100”