Re-shafting an axe.

Moderator: Moderators

Thrud

Re-shafting an axe.

Postby Thrud » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:32 pm

I have just aquired a nice new (old) bearded axe and I would like to put a new handle in it as the one it has is a touch too small for me personally.

I can't see how the axe head is fixed and would like to know how to go about making a new shaft and fitting it securely to the head.

Any ideas?
Attachments
DSC02158.JPG

By the sacred toenail clippings of J.R.R Tolkein... You'll pay for that hellspawn!

I am a snob and I am proud of it but I also like a good poo joke every now and then too.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:11 pm

It looks like the end of that handle simply bulges at the top and was wedged in good and tight.

Official Thumb biter.

Thrud

Postby Thrud » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:16 pm

How do you stop the head slipping down the shaft though?

By the sacred toenail clippings of J.R.R Tolkein... You'll pay for that hellspawn!

I am a snob and I am proud of it but I also like a good poo joke every now and then too.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:19 pm

By wedging it a lot!!

Official Thumb biter.

Thrud

Postby Thrud » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:46 pm

There are no visible wedges at all on it and it's slightly wobbly at the mo but does not want to slip down.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:42 pm

Sorry, i meant by wedging it further onto the shaft!

Official Thumb biter.

Sir_John_Thomas

Postby Sir_John_Thomas » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:54 pm

All you need is a bit of brute force, axe heads once secured to the shaft, will get tighter and tighter the more you swing and use it.

put a good pair of boots on, stand the axe on its top on a hard surface (with a piece of wood on the floor, so not to damage the shaft)
and keep stamping down on the head. Then go chop down a few trees to seat the head in nice and tight. Its an old lumberjacks trick to secure a wobbly head.

"God said love thy neighbour as untoo thy self, unless they are Turkish, in which case, KILL THE B**TARDS!"

Richard IV before leaving on crusade

http://community.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Th ... fSkirbeck/

Thrud

Postby Thrud » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:04 pm

I will go see my riendly woodman one of the evenings and get a nice ash shaft off him. Need some scabbard wood anyway.

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:21 pm

your axe is hafted (thicker at one end so it dont come off) bit like a pick axe

Thrud

Postby Thrud » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:28 pm

It's not the top of the shaft I am thinking off, I can clearly see it's thicker at the top. My concern was that the head is loose and the shaft is a lot thinner below the head, I could not see what was stopping it slipping down.

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:34 pm

take the head off and rub some shoe polish or somthing around the inside. put it back on the shaft and give it a good hard tap on somthing solid, then knock the head of the shaft. look at the shaft and where ever there is shoe polish shand the wood. repeat untill it as close as all round then put the head on and give it a really good hard smack, if you have got it right i doubt it will com off unless you really need it to come off. if you are haveing that much greaf with it send it to me and i'll do it for ya :wink:

Thrud

Postby Thrud » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:56 pm

Might take you up on taht if my own attempts don't work. I just want a longer shaft for it.

Panda

Postby Panda » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:35 pm

Also the 2 pointed parts on eiter side of the shaft can be hammered into the wood as well. :)

Lord Panda, protector of all things cute & fuzzy!
(\_/)
(O.O)
(><)
/_|_\
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to your signature to help him achieve world domination.

http://s4.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=72485

Ranger Smith

Postby Ranger Smith » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:58 am

NO dont hammer the cheeks (the pointed bits in) you will ruin a good axe. (they are there to aid stabability as the head twists not to secure it in place)

By the sound of it who ever made the handle made it like a pick axe handle and fitted it as such. Or the haft broke behind the head and they have wittled what was left of the shaft down to far and made it to small.

If you make a new haft where the head sits should resemble a flattened hour glass. the haft needs to be slightly thicker behind the head to stop it sliding down towards your hand. To fit the haft to the head cut a slot down through the haft (the length of the eye) then whittle the haft down untill it fits tightly into the eye and sticks out by 1/4 inch. make a wooden wedge cover in glue and nock it in. Dont cut off the exess 1/4 inch sticking out of the eye as it helps to secure the head (as it spreads wider than the eye). If it ever works loose stand the axe, head down in a bucket of Lin seed oil and it will tighten back up

Poking Badgers with spoons since 1471

Captain Reech

Re: Re-shafting an axe.

Postby Captain Reech » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Depends on who you are with, last time I looked Regia had banned 'top hafted and wedged' axes in battle, as in the event of catastrophic failure, the head flies off, possibly into the crowd. Your Axe looks to be bottom hafted (head slipped over the bottom of the shaft and slid down until it sticks tight) which means, in a worse case scenario, the head slides down the shaft and hits you (No expensive public liability claim as you will have signed a waiver saying you take your own risks!) I would agree with the first suggestion, put your foot on it and bash it down as far as it will go (the linseed oil trick also works on this type of hafting) It might be possible to also put a wedge in the end, but check with your safety officer if this will be acceptable.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Lady Cecily

Postby Lady Cecily » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:20 pm

As far as I know the same goes for the Vikings - all axes must be reverse shafted. My other half always makes his own because it's important that the wood matches the axe head. They do jam on and will stay there if the shaft and bulb at the end is made to the right profile. :innuendo: :D

Caroline

Dingo8MyBaby

Postby Dingo8MyBaby » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:18 pm

If the head is lose then tamp the shaft on the ground and see if the head will sit firmly at the end of the shaft.
If it is still loose then then wood has dried and shrunk and you#ll need to use a drawknife or spoke shave to reshape the haft.
Do not remove too much as the end of the shaft needs to be bigger than the axe head to stop it flying off.
Try putting the end of the axe in a bucket and soaking it in wood oil such as you get in ikea to try and put some moisture back into the wood.

robin wood

Postby robin wood » Sat May 01, 2010 5:55 pm

I did a tutorial on making and fitting an axe handle a while ago. This was for proper working axes. I find the idea of fitting axe handles like pick axe handles for safety reasons a bit silly, I bet no one can show mean original axe hafted that way and none of us that use proper sharp tools for work would dream of hafting an axe that way.

Making an axe handle
http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/vie ... ndle#p4621
fitting an axe handle
http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/vie ... ndle#p4626

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Sat May 01, 2010 6:33 pm

you could put the axe head on a suitable sapling and wait :twisted:

Lady Cecily

Postby Lady Cecily » Sun May 02, 2010 9:13 am

robin wood wrote:I did a tutorial on making and fitting an axe handle a while ago. This was for proper working axes. I find the idea of fitting axe handles like pick axe handles for safety reasons a bit silly, I bet no one can show mean original axe hafted that way and none of us that use proper sharp tools for work would dream of hafting an axe that way.

Interesting, how about this rather famous picture where you can see the end of the shaft popping out at the top.

Harold.gif
Harold.gif (29.75 KiB) Viewed 3746 times

and it took me a little while because extant shaft are not very common but here is one from Novgorod

NovgorodMus310axe1.jpg

Other thoughts, the safety thing is for the safety of the public not the user (no one wants an axe head flying into a crowd) Also, if you are actually fighting with one, you don't want your opponent to be able to hook it and take it off the end of the shaft. Another thought is that the diamond shape profile of the likes of the Mammen axe possibly indicate a need for the metal to grip the wood.

The other thought is that these aren't woodworking axes we are talking about but long shafted axes for killing people - might that make a difference? Just a stream of thought really - very happy to enter a debate about this.

Caroline

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue May 04, 2010 11:18 am

robin wood wrote: I bet no one can show mean original axe hafted that way

I've just been through Engelhardt's books on the 4th/5th C bog deposits in Denmark and found pictures of three examples.

Here's (an albeit very low res scan) one.

Thorsb.JPG

"I never said that I was here to help."

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed May 05, 2010 1:50 pm

And these 3rd century ones from Illerup.

illerup axes.jpg

"I never said that I was here to help."

Return to “410-1100”