Mail coifs

Moderator: Moderators

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Mail coifs

Postby zauberdachs » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Hey,

I've got myself a very fine riveted mail coif. However I cannot get it to sit right in a fashion that is comfortable or looks accurate. The closest I've come to getting it right is to tie a cord around the neck to gather it in and make it more closely fitting.

How do other people wear their coifs and do they have a similar problem?

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:45 pm

I don't have one myself but frequently see others use the thonging around the neck technique you describe. Personally I think most mail coifs have too much extra mail around the shoulders, chest and back and the weight of it pulls the whole coif out and away from the neck, causing the "no-neck" look. I'm fairly sure coifs should be pruned right back so they just touch the shoulders, they'd sit a lot better.

Alternatively, slit it open at the front from the chin right down. Take out a section from either side and do it back up by tying the two sides together with a thong. It'll give the coif a better "nipped-in" shape.

www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:50 pm

Jim wrote:Alternatively, slit it open at the front from the chin right down. Take out a section from either side and do it back up by tying the two sides together with a thong. It'll give the coif a better "nipped-in" shape.

Good idea!

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:46 pm

If it is a cap-a-pie one then I think they are made in a way which is not quite right. The quality of the rings is superb but the pattern is made to minimise construction time.

You need to find the row at the jaw level where the number of rings seems to double, seperate the top and bottom halves, cut out 4 triangles from the bottom half so that it is flatter instead of a tube and reassemble. This will get rid of all the extra material at the neck. You might also want to stick in 2 triangle expansions for your jaw. You can also take off some of the extra material around the bottom as they are huge.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:09 pm

I have a huge head so I have never had any problems with coifs of any pattern (bought or selfmade) once I have wedged them in place with a lid.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Its something I've always had problems with...

Tried integrating my (butted) coif with my hauberk last year - but it needed to be soo baggy around the neck just so I could turn it - it looked all wrong...

Now have a cap-a-pie coif.. Took a few inches of length off it and then took out the square part below the chin and joined the sides up to make the face-opening more of an inverted triangle than a square.. big enough so my chin ticks through. This has made it a lot closer around the neck - but maybe too close - leaving the chin a but too exposed. Next thing I'm planning is to add a ventail which, If I get it right should hopefully cover that up.

I can't say that this works yet as its still a work in progress... Only that it looks promising.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu May 21, 2009 12:24 pm

I think that you're on the right track ther Biro.

I'd guess that head movement comes from length in the neck, not width. Not that you'll get huge mobility either way.

It always amases me how much tailoring goes into mail. It's rarely the simple tube design that we expect.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Return to “410-1100”