Viking Arms And Armour

Moderator: Moderators

Høvding

Viking Arms And Armour

Postby Høvding » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:24 pm

Does anyone know if there is any literary primary sources detailing the minimum equipment expectations for a Viking of Warrior class and ifthere is any references for the standard Soldierr of Viking age?

''Ingen skal gå
et eneste skritt
fra våpnene sine på vollen:
for uvisset er å vite
på vegen en farer
når det blir sporsmål om spyd''

Høvding

Postby Høvding » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:28 pm

No takers?

''Ingen skal gå

et eneste skritt

for uvisset er å vite

på vegen en farer

Aelfric

Postby Aelfric » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:47 pm

Not 'Viking' but the comtemporay West Saxon laws of Alfred required a thegn to come to war with a spear, shield, sword, helmet and mail shirt.

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:03 pm

Alfreds Burghal Hidage laws state that every five hides of land (one hide = enough land to feed a family) should supply a trained warrior with sword spears armour two horse and enough rations to keep him in the field for three months. The fine for failure to do this was the cost of hiring a mercenary with this level of equipment for three months. There was probably something similar opperating within the Danelaw in England, the presence of forts like Trelleborg in Denmark would imply that there was some sort of organised method of raising troops but I am not aware of any extant literary sources (they probably exist, I just don't know about them). Hope this helps.....

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Høvding

Postby Høvding » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks guys, helps alot! :D Just curious is a hide around 2 acres or smaller? or did it just depend on the familys size?

''Ingen skal gå

et eneste skritt

for uvisset er å vite

på vegen en farer

Aelfric

Postby Aelfric » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:37 pm

A hide was a measure of a piece of lands ecconomic value rather than its area, around 120 acres as a rough average though some could be much smaller and some could be rather bigger.

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:26 pm

Long time since I studied Old Norse but I can well imagine the best sources for that info might be the most obvious ones... Egils Saga, etc? Although a later date than you want, probably but maybe there's something in the sagas.

WorkMonkey

Re: Viking Arms And Armour

Postby WorkMonkey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Høvding wrote:Does anyone know if there is any literary primary sources detailing the minimum equipment expectations for a Viking of Warrior class and ifthere is any references for the standard Soldierr of Viking age?

Doesn't a "Viking" only come in 'Pirate' class? In which case its pistols, sabres and "gyarr"ing a-plenty. 8D

Wm.

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Høvding

Postby Høvding » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:03 pm

Super, does this mean I can shiver me timber without worry of arrest? :D

''Ingen skal gå

et eneste skritt

for uvisset er å vite

på vegen en farer

cripplestickmick

Postby cripplestickmick » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Høvding wrote:Thanks guys, helps alot! :D Just curious is a hide around 2 acres or smaller? or did it just depend on the familys size?

A hide was about 25 acres, but it was a system of tax measurement - defined (so I am told by thise in the know) by the area that a thong made from the hide of a cow (or ox or bull not sure which) would go around.

If you look in Christopher Dyers book 'Making a living in the middle ages' small farmers could rent 40 acres of land from a larger landholder for about £1 a year in rent. These 40 acres could be worked by the tennant and he would probably need 2 people to help him work the land, the money he could make from the 40 acres would pay his rent, tithe to the church, pay for any privilages he needed and pay the hire of the 2 feild hands as well as enable the tennant and his family to live quite a high standard of living through the year.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Brand

weapons and kit

Postby Brand » Wed May 07, 2008 10:12 pm

A hide varied as it was the area required to support 1 entire family
http://wolfguard.wetpaint.com/page/Chieftain+and+Eorls

so depending on where you lived it would vary quite widely (being dependant on climate, drainage, crops/ animals etc etc...)

Also the equipment supplied from each 5 hides was enough to equip one warrior fully and contribute to equipping another...

see also:-

http://wolfguard.wetpaint.com/page/Costume+and+Kit

and

http://wolfguard.wetpaint.com/page/Arms ... and+Status

These are my guidelines and will evolve over time- any feedback is happily accepted!

My group are mere associates of the Vike but we seem to be getting the kit right so far!

Høvding

Postby Høvding » Thu May 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Brand 2nd pic on chieftans and Eorls link, is this a LARP character? or have pictures not been updated in a while?

''Ingen skal gå

et eneste skritt

for uvisset er å vite

på vegen en farer

Brand

Postby Brand » Thu May 08, 2008 9:44 pm

Oddly the Lammelar likes ok in real life and pants in images. The trousers are silk not plastic (despite appearances!) but yes that is a very old pic.

Return to “410-1100”