Shield wall training methods.

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon May 19, 2008 4:53 pm

Nikki wrote:...And maybe the patients rather large nose ;)

Is that a Monty Python sketch I see before me?

www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Tue May 20, 2008 9:06 am

Nikki wrote:And maybe the patients rather large nose ;)

Heh - I fall into that category.. A fairly large, and unfeasibly un-bendy nose makes a lot of helmets with any kind of nose/face protection fairly uncomfortable - and due to them constantly contacting or pushing on my nose won't give an awful lot of protection if anything hits there with force - but even so, its a lot better than no protection at all. Just needs to be fitted/padded so a knock on the noggin doesn't push it into your nose.

And following on from what Paul said - I agree totally that the risk of injury is increased dramatically when fighting against people from other groups with other styles...

We do headblows in our group - and in 12 years of re-enactment with weekly practices in the two societies I've been in, I have never had more than a minor cut/bruise (and its been a long time since I had one of those). But the vast majority of that time has been only fighting our own group members.

And strangely enough, most head injurys (all minor) have occured in a time before we allowed headblows. I really don't know if this was due to combination of more head protection and knowing how to defend the head, or moving away from battle-related shows to a more 1v1 based show - therefore removing the risk of injury from ppl you're not fighting (if you follow).

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue May 20, 2008 10:16 am

I've long held the view that disallowing headshots either has no effect on the number of head injuries, or slightly increases it.

In a "head-shot free" environment, all the blows to the head that do occur are accidental, hence they are not expected by the recipient. That lack of expectation means the blow is far more likely to hit home.

In a "head-shots allowed" environment, everyone is expectant of blows incoming towards the head, and this alertness can, in my opinion, help avoid all those accidental blows as well as the intended ones coming at you from your opponent.

All of this is, however, conjecture on my part - more of a gut feeling than anything else, and I certainly can't back it up with any figures.

The number one source of "near-miss" smacks to my face have been the butts of people's pole arms when you're stood in the rank right behind them. And that's in a no headshots environment.

www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Brand

Postby Brand » Tue May 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Agree with that- many times been clonked by members of my own force (not group!) who pay no heed to where the back of their pole arm is going! In fact had a bone shaking blow from a warhammer that some mup swung backwards before swinging forwards at the enemy- managed to swear under my breath fortunately...

Return to “410-1100”