Norman buckles

Moderator: Moderators

Kryštof

Norman buckles

Postby Kryštof » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi Everybody!
I want excuse you for my bad Englisch, because I am Czech and i learn Englisch only 2 month :roll:
I deal with for (Italian) Normans and I want cast Norman buckle and strap end for Norman in 11th/12th century. I search in the web, but I don't find no period finds. Just and little bit :( Could some for my insert any pictures?

Thank you very much :)
Kryštof
Last edited by Kryštof on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephen_hathway

buckles

Postby stephen_hathway » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:03 pm

hi
have a look at ( gaukler medieval wares )
hope this helps.

bomber.

one day you are the windshield
the next day you are the bug

gaukler

norman buckles

Postby gaukler » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:51 am

I make two or three Norman buckles, and have more n the works.
Some are even on the web site:)
mark

Gaukler Medieval Wares
http://www.medievalwares.com

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:12 am

Conquest The discerning Norman group use Toby at the silver wyvern

mailto:toby@thesilverwyvern.co.uk

he has produced several hundred standard well done buckles for us as wella s fancies in Silver and gold etc so is repsonsive to individual pieces

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Kryštof

Postby Kryštof » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Thank you very much for yours informations.
I don't know whether you me understand well but I know pour bronze et my home. I need some pictures [photos] of Norman's buckles and strapends for 11th/12th century with accurate century of finding. Indeed if you do not have any photos, so I don't mind :)

BTW: Hasn't you got any pictures of Normans' [Crusaders'] breast crosses?

Thank you
Chris

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:39 pm

ah well if you want to do em yourself dont expect to be spoon fed do what we all did and read a book

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:17 pm

I think what Nigel was trying to say is that you should first be attempting your own research rather than relying on other peoples hard work, most people are very protective of their own efforts especially traders who earn money as a result. many of us have to trawl through archaeological reports and other publications for this kind of evidence.

I would certainly recommend visiting museum websites such as these below which will certainly give you some ideas:

www.museumoflondon.org.uk
www.britishmuseum.org
www.vam.ac.uk
www.metmuseum.org

There is also a book on dress accessories from a series of London based excavations:

Dress Accessories C.1150-c.1450 (Medieval Finds from Excavations in London) by Geoff Egan.

Good luck

Simon

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Kryštof

Postby Kryštof » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Thank you very much for your answer.

P.S.: I am only 15 years old and allas I don't access to history sources of information. Beyond I in Czech republic don't nearly no possibilites find any lowdowns for Normans :)

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:45 pm

Kryštof
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:36 pm Post subject:
Thank you very much for your answer.

P.S.: I am only 15 years old and allas I don't access to history sources of information. Beyond I in Czech republic don't nearly no possibilites find any lowdowns for Normans Smile

In which case I wish my Czech was as good as your English, we've been to Praha twice and only picked up a few words. :oops:

Plenty of the larger museums have websites that you can search plus they have the source and dating of the item, you can also try local museums and auction house sites. Local archaeological societies publish journals with excavation reports and the main medieval journal for the UK is published by 'The Society for Medieval Archaeology', their website is:

http://www.medievalarchaeology.org/

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!

www.angevin.org

egfroth

Postby egfroth » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:25 am

There's at least one "Norman" piece here (it's number 656)

There's very little stuff available that we can point to and say "Yes, that's Norman". Anything found in England dating from maybe 100 years after the Norman Conquest could be Norman, rather than English, but how would we know?

Kryštof

Postby Kryštof » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:10 pm

Thank you all :)

Return to “410-1100”