The changing faces of 1066

Moderator: Moderators

Zachos

The changing faces of 1066

Postby Zachos » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Just wondering if it would be legit for someone to wear a spectacle helm at the battle of hastings? I know the tapestry of incomprehensible spelling only shows nasals as far as I'm aware, but its not really that accurate a portrayal as far as some of the other things go, so was just wondering.

Zac

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:09 pm

Nope

Spangens all round

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:32 pm

Gjermundbu helmet is dated to 10th century Norway, so probably not the best for Hastings in the late 11th century Englandshire...

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Swelter

Postby Swelter » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:20 am

zauberdachs wrote:Gjermundbu helmet is dated to 10th century Norway, so probably not the best for Hastings in the late 11th century Englandshire...

Especially as it was already an antique when it went into the ground.

Kitchen shlug at your shervice!

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:32 pm

the Helemts, armour and clothing for the Hastings battle, was indistinguishable between both the Norman and The Englisc armies

For those able to afford such things the Helemt was the conical shape that had been in for at least the last 100 years. round shaped helemts and particularly Gjurmendbu style spectacle helms where beyond antiques by 1066.

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:29 am

Ok, thanks. Would they have conical helmets like this link or would they only have panelled ones like this: link

Just trying to decide exactly what I need before I head off to a market.

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

nathan

Postby nathan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:36 am

Zachos wrote:Ok, thanks. Would they have conical helmets like this link or would they only have panelled ones like this: link

Just trying to decide exactly what I need before I head off to a market.

Nicolle dates the 1-piece constructions to mid C11th, the BT has a number of helms that 'could be' single-piece.

For safetey I would go with the spangen (since they where in use a hundered years + either side) but for higher status single piece is also a good option (i wear mine for hastings period onwards).

http://www.conroidevey.co.uk
Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Return to “410-1100”