Getting Started- Roman Soldier

Moderator: Moderators

Brand

Getting Started- Roman Soldier

Postby Brand » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Been tinkering with the idea of doing this for some time now. I'm on the Isle of Wight and Brading Roman Villa are keen to work with me...
I want to do fighting displays as well as artifact handling etc. so plan to start a small group. Thinking of 3-4thC AD as that dateline works for the Villa- any groups near me doing this period? Any good resources for correct kit? (Armamateria seems a good start and Lancaster Armoury seem to have decent swords).

TTFN.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Re: Getting Started- Roman Soldier

Postby Medicus Matt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:38 am

Can't think of anyone in that part of the world doing 3-4th C. The Batavi do 4th and they used to have some people in the south, one or two in Hampshire I think. Britannia do late 4th/5th and they have a couple in Hampshire as well but nothing I can think of actually on the island.

Kit wise, if you're going off the peg then yes Adrian at Armamentaria is a good place to start but there's also a lot of good suppliers on the continet, where late Roman is very popular.
For bespoke, you could talk to Nicki at 'Seams Roman' on Facebook or Claire Marshall (posts here as Treaty Money) for excellent quality soft kit.

Swords, you're looking at spathas. Nobody does what I would call a good blunt spatha with period authentic hilt fittings. The Indian suppliers do a couple which have faux bone/ivory hilts (which I think Adrian stocks). They used to be horrible, the blades prone to faults and inclusions ( I once had part of a blade whizz past my ear like a startled partridge after a rider came at me with one), but I hear that they're better now. However, I'd still be going to Heron, Binnsy or someone with experience of doing spathas to get a custom one made if you want one to fight with.
For sharps there are some off the shelf options.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Brand

Postby Brand » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks mate, Binns- of course, love his blades :D
For basic soft kit was going to sew myself, liked the look of the Subarmalis Armamateria do just checking on period with them. More things like belts, boots etc.

scotti

Postby scotti » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:03 pm

3rd century is a very interesting period, I know loads of 1st century types (myself included) who would love to do it but to be honest the only group I know who does are very small and mainly work in the north of England.
If you could step back a hundred years or more, there are a lot more options for kit off the peg, Adrian's (Armamentaria) kit is good and since Len Morgan retired the only real supplier of kit in the UK, Steve Wagstaff has a limited range but no internet presence. As Matt has said there are two or three very high quality suppliers in Europe I have the details should you require them.
If you give this a go, please PM and I'll give you some contacts in the period.

Brand

Postby Brand » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 pm

thanks, after consideration looking at late C4-mid C5 as kit available, timeline works for location and some good resources out there. Looking for good kit guides (rather than re-inventing wheel et al).

Got riveted sleeveless mail already so that's one less thing. Planning to make my basic kit, order subarmalis from Adrian. Binns for sword, can make my own shield. Who's good for shoes/ what should a soldier be wearing in the period?
Anyone 'dahn' south else do combat? (will spar with my usual early and high medi mob for now :wink:

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:36 am

Brand wrote:
Got riveted sleeveless mail already so that's one less thing. :

Only if you put sleeves on it. Late roman shirts had elbow or wrist length sleeves and were mid thigh or knee length.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Return to “55BC-410AD”