Iron Age furniture/wood objects

Moderator: Moderators

Lugorix

Iron Age furniture/wood objects

Postby Lugorix » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:44 am

I've been on the hunt for proper Iron Age furniture. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've seen some example of reconstructions in roundhouses on the web, probably from Busters or Castell Hennllys. I have seen a table derived from a bog find in Tyrone. But I have had the hardest time finding the archeological sources for these. I'm sure there are many wooden objects found and cataloged from Iron Age Britain, but where do I find them? Any help will be much appreciated.

Tools and wood ready.......

David Freeman

Iron Age Wood

Postby David Freeman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:24 am

All you had to do was ask!

I am in the midst of researching furniture and fittings for round houses.
The items being built into the house at Butser are my work.
I would advise caution with Castell Hennllys, from what I have seen, many items are 'Celtic' rather than ironage. Although very impresive, the benches of carved oak logs are not in any archaeology that I know of.

To give you a head start in wooden items, I have proccessed the reports from the Glastonbury Lake Village (most are out of copyright)
Use this link to download the text and graphics taken from Bullied and Grey's self-published excavation report.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gd.freeman ... 20wood.zip

David :)

The past is a foreign country.

Lugorix

Postby Lugorix » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:51 pm

Thanks David! There are some images in that file I have not seen before. That will help in some of the wood turnings and tools I plan to make over summer. Looking forward to seeing more about the furniture and fittings for the roundhouses you speak of.

Somewhere I read that a Roman commented that the Britons sat on the floor and ate from low tables. Any clue as to what these tables were? Could they possibly be wicker and not slabs of wood?

Lugorix

David Freeman

Funiture

Postby David Freeman » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:42 am

They do say 'tables' not 'baskets' and as you point out, there is archaeology for a table, in Ireland. I have also had a go at interpreting the 'sit on the floor' bit as well, and have come up with a very comfortable method that can be expanded to include the descriptions of the feast.

If you get to Butser on one of the open weekends, I would be happy to take you through the evidence for everythig I am trying out.

David

The past is a foreign country.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:37 pm

Try and get a hold of Caroline Earwood's book on wooden artefacts - cant remember the exact title but its a pretty good list of items which have been found.

selcaldwell

Re: Iron Age furniture/wood objects

Postby selcaldwell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:39 am

That is very rare I guess, and if you can find this furniture maybe they are in a possessions of avid collectors. Try to target those in salvage businesses, sometimes they encounter such stuff.

Return to “55BC-410AD”