What changed with the romans?

Moderator: Moderators

Zachos

What changed with the romans?

Postby Zachos » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:51 am

Does anyone have a basic timescale for what changes happened to a roman legionaries kit over the ages? Am interested in getting some roman kit, and would like some knowledge before I jump in.

Cheers.

Zac

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:03 pm

Pretty much everthing!..DoB is probably the most regular visitor for this one,but roughly,there are major changes in appearance each century,with a lot of smaller changes in the 1stcent.
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:40 pm

Get hold of some of Peter Connolly's books on the Roman Army (Greece and Rome at War) for an accessible introduction - Connolly is a brilliant artist and experimental archaeologist. For more academic approach try Webster's The Imperial Roman Army and Bishop and Coulson's Roman Military Equipment.

As Steve says, there are huge changes in everything from shield shape through armour and weaponry to styles of footwear - if you look at, for example, the Ermine Street Guard style of legionary (which is what most people think ofwhen they think of Roman soldiers) and compare them with Brittania you'llsee the world of difference - the good thing about it though is that if you are an avid collector of kit it gives you reat range to spend far too much cash and clutter the house up with even MORE stuff!

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

squamatus

Postby squamatus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:21 pm

You could look at some of the various societies who depict different periods.

The ESG kit normally covers 43-60 AD or thereabouts.

Several other groups are drifting into later period gear, e.g. the Batavians in RMRS and some of The Vicus.

Legio VIII went largely into enclosed boots due to this year's awful weather, just like the Romans had by the time they got up to the North.

Quinta show what had happened by the 3rd Century, and Comitatus and Brittania finish off the period.

The best thing to do - as I'm sure all these societies would agree is to talk to those portraying your chosen timescale.

Good luck!

Robin Brown

Legio VIII Augusta MGV
http://roman.org.uk

Timothy

Postby Timothy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:59 pm

> Does anyone have a basic timescale for what changes happened to a roman legionaries kit over the ages?

You might want to pin the period down a little - the Roman Empire did, after all, last until 1453!

Timothy

lawrence

Romans

Postby lawrence » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:57 am

Zac,
for information you might want to look at www.romanarmy.com and go onto the talk forum there, there's also a pretty good supplier at www.armamentaria.com who can point you toward the different kit.
Lawrence

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:22 am

Timothy wrote:> Does anyone have a basic timescale for what changes happened to a roman legionaries kit over the ages?

You might want to pin the period down a little - the Roman Empire did, after all, last until 1453!

Timothy

Only in your fevoured imagination Dr D

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:01 pm

Sorry Nigel, the Eastern Empire had a continuous existance until the Fall of Constantinople to the Turks - the Western Empire, however, was long gone by then.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Return to “55BC-410AD”