Middlewich Roman Festival

Moderator: Moderators

lawrence

Middlewich Roman Festival

Postby lawrence » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:51 am

Anyone from here going to the Middlewich festival next weekend?
We've got a huuuuge space for trading in the marquee so will be taking along a whole load of stuff and I was just wondering who else would be there?
Apart from the Fresco and Mosaic pieces we've got the glassware and samianware, plus we still have some of the samianware at halfprice due to slight imperfections in the finish.
See you there!

Lawrence

squamatus

LEGIO VIII AUGUSTA - Middlewich

Postby squamatus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:57 pm

The Eighth Legion will be there, plus (I think) Comitatus, and Roman Tours.

I'm looking forward to seeing your samianware!

Salvianus

Postby Salvianus » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:08 pm

Good to see you there, very nice Samian ware! Ah, if only I did that earlier period... :D

Ste Kenwright
Salvianus

A member of Comitatus & Holderness of Regia Anglorum.
My Livejournal

~ Antiquum obtinens ~

squamatus

Verdict on Middlewich

Postby squamatus » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:26 am

What a great show! This was only the third show of the year where it didn't rain on us - althought that downpour right at the end of the day got me good style. At least the tents got away dry for a change! :)

We'll be back next year at Rockingham to challenge Comitatus at artillery shooting. (You know you only won the last competition because one of our Scorpion's limbs started to crack! :cry: )

And yes, we did buy lots of samian ware!

Cheers

Robin

Mrs Grumpy

Postby Mrs Grumpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:08 pm

Salvianus, I bought some Samian despite doing Late Roman. Instead it will grace my windowsills at home, but perhaps I'll have to start doing early Roman just to show of the fine quality pottery 8)

Great quality stuff Lawrence; I'm sure it will go down well with all the early Romans, museums and archaeologists :D

The Eighth put on a wonderful show throughout the weekend! I'm sure you let Marcus/Matt win the artillery competition only because he was the Birthday Boy (all of 21) ... Glad to hear there will be a re-match at Rockingham

Viventia (aka Tilemonkey)

lawrence

Postby lawrence » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:58 pm

That was a great weekend, I sold stuff so of course it was great! :wink:
Next year though I think I will definately be bringing an authenty tent and set up trading with the other groups there. I felt a little out of place sandwiched as I was between the conservatory cleaning company and the 'Guess how many ballons are in the Mini and win a trip to Chernobyl' stand.
Nice to see some cavalry out, a very well worked out display.
All back for next year?

Lawrence

Salvianus

Re: Verdict on Middlewich

Postby Salvianus » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:31 pm

squamatus wrote: one of our Scorpion's limbs started to crack!

Ouch! We had to replace one of our metal ones this season, with some debate about sticking with original, but thin, or reinforcing it a bit. Authentic won - & of course it's possible that this was designed in as a deliberate failure point, rather than risk a whole canister going pop like a grenade going off etc. (I don't know if that's a real possibility, it just seems like it to me!).

I'm not really into target competitions, as the wind always makes it a bit moot. OK, and I'm crap with a throwing axe ;-) We had to cheer for Matt on his birthday, though: we felt quite honoured he'd chosen to spend it with us!

Salve!

Ste Kenwright
Salvianus

A member of Comitatus & Holderness of Regia Anglorum.
My Livejournal

~ Antiquum obtinens ~

squamatus

Postby squamatus » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:51 am

Well we had to do something to fill the time - Our entire auxilia were wiped out with illness, and they'd taken quite a few legionaries with them!

Target shooting is okay provided you can hit something. I've a feeling that limb was on the blink for about the last 3 shows as the only thing we could hit was the ground :cry:

Gaius Longius

Postby Gaius Longius » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:35 pm

Lucky for you guys the reenforcements from Deva managed to move up in support. Sorry we couldn't stay for the Sunday but we were already commited back at base

Also needed to get our gladiators back before they found the wine and started to get really cocky. :D
Gaius.

Ultima intra pugna, prima intra taverna

Return to “55BC-410AD”