Water containers

Moderator: Moderators

Gobae

Water containers

Postby Gobae » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:08 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable traveling water containers for late LaTene era Trekking?

I'm aware of the Roman "donut" canteens, but I can't find evidence of their use outside of areas not already Romanized. (Go figure). :)

I've also not found any evidence for "wineskins" either.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:58 pm

What evidence have you found then?

Off the top of my head, having read a few books on the Celts, I don't recall anyone mentioning water bottles, whether in pictures or in the archeological record.

How about hollowed out woden tubes?

Buy my book about Alchemy in Medieval and Tudor England:
http://www.newcurioshop.com/alchemy-med ... r-england/

Gobae

Postby Gobae » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:14 pm

What evidence have you found then?

None, which was why I was asking. :)

I've seen tons of amphorae, which are provenanced as having been imported (with wine). Though presumably, since these are generally quite large, they had a fixed seal for a lid, and were transported via carts?

There's also the drinking horn found in the Hochdorf burial, but without some sort of closure it seems more like a drinking vessel and not one to transport drink.

I've also got some images of wooden tankards/mugs from Iron Age Britain, but once again no obvious means of closure.

Of course potential items such as "wineskin" and various animal bladders don't hold up well in the archaeological record.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:51 pm

If its got to be portable then a skin would be the best bet - there are rare barrels from the archaeological record but even a small barrel (technically probably not a barrel as the name reflects the amount it holds) could be awkward to carry.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Return to “2000BC-55BC”