Stone-Iron Age

Moderator: Moderators

Andy92

Stone-Iron Age

Postby Andy92 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi all,

I have to do a presentation on Britain from the stone age to the iron age as part of my PGCE course. It's not the period I re-enact or one I've taken much interest in before now so I don't know much about it.

If anyone has any ideas for activities children (6-11 year olds) could do relating to this or just interesting things to look at from that period, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

sally
Post Knight

Re: Stone-Iron Age

Postby sally » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:39 pm

Food is a good topic to look at, starting with hunter-gatherers, then first farmers, then how farming develops as you enter the Iron Age/Romano British period.

Get them thinking about their 'shopping basket' if they were a person from different periods compared to today, maybe put together a simple sheet of food stuff line drawings to be cut out and pasted into an assemblage of ingredients for each period. Main point being that a wide variety of foods were available, but as farming technology and trade alter, there are different core things on the menu, and also discussions about seasonality of ingredients compared today's eating habits

Andy92

Postby Andy92 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks Sally. That's just the kind of thing I was after :)

saxon

Postby saxon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:18 pm

You could also do a 'mock' burial, I always do this when doing neolithic school visits. You'll need a few objects however, have one of the pupils lay on the floor and the others pick objects they think would be relevant for the next life. Also clothing and what they would use for clothing and how they would stay warm, construction of a neolithic house ........ quite a few things to go at. If you want a couple of small flint items let me know.

Grendel2

Postby Grendel2 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Prehistoric painting

Get the kids to look at prehistoric artwork and try to reproduce similar themselves. Prehistoric pigments are still used today so easy to get.

Return to “2000BC-55BC”