New member - medieval music

Making it, listening to it, words, music sheets, making instruments

Moderator: Moderators

mem001

New member - medieval music

Postby mem001 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:08 pm

Thought I'd posted, but looks like I didn't. Sorry if this is a 2nd post.

Anyway ... I'm a new member and just getting into re-enactment, specifically as a musician. Originally I'm a cellist, but I also play viol and am wanting to get more experienced in medieval music and instruments. I'm planning to buy at least one rebec and my wife is going to learn pipe & tabor. I've found loads of resources by scouring the internet, so have a whole pile of troubadour songs, estampies, cantigas (CSMs) etc, etc. Now I just need the instruments, the clothing (got patterns so will be getting sewing soon) and somewhere to play.

We live in Coventry, so I've been in touch with the Guild of St Edmund, which sounds like a good fit. Basically I just wanted to say hello, but if anyone has any suggestions of who to play with and where is good to buy instruments, then that would be lovely. I've already bought viol stuff from EMS, and they're great, but rebecs and pipes seem pretty expensive from there. I'm guessing second-hand ones don't come up that often.

Mary

saracen

Re: New member - medieval music

Postby saracen » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:28 am

Hi there, drop me a line at medievalmusicinthedales@gmail.com and I'd be happy to help. You're right to think it might be expensive, but there are some amazing makers out there. Cheers!

mem001

Re: New member - medieval music

Postby mem001 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi there!

Only just found this reply - it got lost in my spam folder. I think we might have met at the Ryton re-enactors fair. I've got the MMITD dates for this year in my diary, so I'll see you there!

In the meantime, I'm memorising CSMs and the odd troubadour tune on my treble viol, and I've commissioned a rebec from a maker, and possibly a medieval viol from my luthier who is often up for an interesting project :-)

Mary

Return to “Music and Instruments”