Dordrecht recorder

Making it, listening to it, words, music sheets, making instruments

Moderator: Moderators

Stephen Dobson / Rab

Dordrecht recorder

Postby Stephen Dobson / Rab » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Good evening all,

I've been doing a (very) little research - basically a first look - at the sorts of instruments played in the late fourteenth century. As well as the lute (a little complex and expensive for a first foray), I've come across some information on the Dordrecht recorder, but not much.

In short, who makes them and how much am I looking at paying for one?

On a less commercial note, I'd like to just know a bit more about music of the time; its style, the formal occasions (secular) on which it was played, any idea of how widespread playing would have been.

I realise that this might be solved by some further research, but I'm coming at this from such a position of ignorance I don't really know where to start.

Thank you in advance,
Rab

Sue Green

Postby Sue Green » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi

My recorder, whilst not a Dordrecht one, is by P Bleazey and it is a lovely instrument. They also do the Dordrecht model - see following website :

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/ble ... rpage.html

Xioumi

Postby Xioumi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Mr Bleazey's instruments are a joy to play. I highly reccomend them :)
Try this link for some early surviving examples of medieval recorders. It has some very lovely pictures.
http://www.recorderhomepage.net/torture2.html

Stephen Dobson / Rab

Postby Stephen Dobson / Rab » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:25 am

Thank you. Those are the links I turned up and caught my eye, so it's good to hear that I'm looking in the right places :)

Now to persuade one of the music staff to teach me to play...

Jack Campin

Re: Dordrecht recorder

Postby Jack Campin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 pm

I just bought one of Cranmore's Dordrecht replicas.

I don't imagine it'll be too hard to find appropriate music for it (Dutch/Flemish and maybe Burgundian tunes from around 1400) but I haven't got much yet.

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Busy Mole do a couple of really good books with middle to late medieval tunes. Most of them are the right range for a descant recorder. They also include some explanations as to where the tunes come from and when they were used, ie dancing, religious, etc. They're the best books I've had to date.

blastfromthepast

Postby blastfromthepast » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Jane Moulder has produced an excellent series of tune books covering the medieval, Tudor and Civil War periods which are also packed with info about the respective periods. I suspect they're the same ones that Busy Mole sell, but you can also buy them direct from Jane here - http://www.piva.org.uk/Books_and_CDs_Fo ... s_Page.htm

Return to “Music and Instruments”