Looking for reenactment group in the north east

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Ryan8298

Looking for reenactment group in the north east

Postby Ryan8298 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi!

Im new to the reenactment scene but it has been something i have been heavily interested in for a while now. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some societies in the north east, preferably close to Newcastle.

Im not bothered about the time period, as i think it was the initial amazement at watching 2 people swordplay that got me hooked. Thank you to anyone who responds, i appreciate it.

Tetardd

Re: Looking for reenactment group in the north east

Postby Tetardd » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 am

Ryan,

Check us out at Dawn of Chivalry (https://www.dawnofchivalry.co.uk/). We are a traveling knights reenactment group, depicting the 13th century. We do shows for the likes of English Heritage. We are heavily focused on combat so would match exactly what you are after.

We train in Hartlepool but we are organising combat taster session in Durham (next one 11th April): https://www.facebook.com/events/1598828993571608/

Entry into the group is extremely easy as we have spare group kit. Our next show is at Warkworth castle 21 and 22nd April. If you want to come and check us out then, you'll see some of what we do. And if you come on Saturday, I invite you to stay behind after the public is gone so that you can have a behind the scenes visit of the camp and hear about what we do.

David
Dawn of Chivalry, Deputy Authenticity Officer.

Tetardd

Postby Tetardd » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:06 am

I also forgot, some of us at Dawn of Chivalry are also involved in that type of swordplay called HEMA:

http://www.durhammedievalcombatacademy.org/

D.

40/- freeholder

Postby 40/- freeholder » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:27 am

There'll be some re-enactors at the Morpeth Gathering April 6th-8th. I believe Time Bandits from Newcastle are running the battle on Sat & Sun but there'll be musicians and costume living historians too.

Tetardd

Postby Tetardd » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:33 am

In my haste I forgot a couple of things:

I run a FB group where you'll find links to local re-enactment and HEMA groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Medieva ... usiastsNE/

Feel free to request to join.

I joined Dawn of Chivalry a few years ago and I was lucky I found exactly what I was after straight away, fighting style I wanted, type of show I wanted, atmosphere, camaraderie, historical accuracy, etc.
Maybe you have already spoken to many people and know exactly what you are after. Maybe you are at the point I was at: not too sure how to approach it. In the latter case, please allow me to give you some rough pointers as we are lucky in the NE, there are many active groups to consider.

Re-enactment groups vary in the type of show they provide, from living history (not combat focused) to combat focused.
If you want to focus on combat, they also vary from large scale combat massive multigroup, 200+ per side (Yorvik festival), down to 12-v-12 (for example at a clash of knights) to one-v-one (knights tournament). The buzz is different, the level of skills is different too so learning the combat style of one group may not be applicable to another group.
There is the period (viking equipment vs war of the roses, completely different eras) that you want to consider. In the 13th century, it's all about maille hauberk, barrel helmets, heater shields with a good range of weapons ; 14th century, you go to plate armour, pole axes, longswords.
There is the historical accuracy, some groups are very strict, others are rather lenient. In the former, it's more difficult to get gear but the reward his higher for example (when you manage to get your scabbard looking really good after 4 years like I just achieved, you get a massive buzz, I know it can sound silly).
There is the type of shows, from local village fayres to big historically accurate historical events (knights tournaments by English Heritage, reconstitution of battles like Evesham 2018). This again has completely different atmosphere and some groups tent to do more of one type than another type of show.
There is also the training, support provided. some groups rarely train together, others have training sessions organised every week. That translate into what the members are able to do combat-wise on the show field.
Then there is the ranks in the group, how do members go from inexperienced with little kit (foot soldier) to highly experienced with lots of nice kit (knight)? How do people learn about their period and how do they communicate that to the public?

In your contacts with different groups, you may want to ask questions about all these aspects.
Feel free to ask many questions, what I found is that re-enactors are never shy of talking about their passion.

Tetardd

Postby Tetardd » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:21 pm

On my FB group called Medieval Combat Enthusiasts North East England (feel free to join), there is a list of medieval groups in the North-East. Some of them have shows this coming week-end for St George's day. It's a good opportunity to meet them and see what they do.

Return to “Societies”