My son wants to become a reenactor!

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs B

My son wants to become a reenactor!

Postby Mrs B » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:09 am

Hi there,
I was hoping you could advise.
(sorry if you have this email twice - I posted the last one and it disappeared!)

My son and I came across a number of wonderful reenactment and living history societies at various events over the summer and now he is really keen to join one. I'm getting in touch to find out feasible this would be? I am imagining he would need an adult accompanying him who was also game? He is 9 and will be 10 in the Spring. He loves history, and wants to be an archeologist when he's older. His favourite period is the medieval period and he really is very serious about it! It wasn't just the swords and the jousting, but the games and carpentry too.

Do all societies accept minors and what kind of commitment would they need to show?

I really want to encourage him in this, but we don't have a car and I am not aware of any Living History societies in our area. We live in St Albans. That said, I imagine this is more of a summer pursuit for many societies? In which case we would be very happy to travel on weekends.

Lastly are there generally many other children that do this does it depend on the period? I would love for my son to meet other kids his age doing the same thing and would be very interested to know of groups that are particularly welcoming towards children.

Sorry. Many questions! Any advice, gratefully appreciated.

Sandra B

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Re: My son wants to become a reenactor!

Postby guthrie » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:03 am

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to move your post tommorrow if I remember, because this isn't the right place for it.

Re-enactment is an anarchic setup, so precisely what your son can do and attend depends on the group he wants to join. For instance, there are societies of groups which will permit 14 or 15 year olds to fight. Others you have to wait until you are 18. Generally though they do want a parent or specifically named guardian to be around at an event when they are under 18, for obviou child protection reasons. So you'll have to come along, but won't necessarily have to dress up. What level of commitment is required will depend on the group, but at his age nobody will expect him to turn up to practise every weekend or attend pub meetings or make his own kit. (The latter will probably be your job...)
And yes, it is a summer hobby, so you are more likely to attend weekends away.
St Albans being deep down in England there'll be loads of groups nearby, not all will be family friendly. Can you be more specific about which part of the medieval period? 1200's, or 13 or 1400's?

Buy my book about Alchemy in Medieval and Tudor England:
http://www.newcurioshop.com/alchemy-med ... r-england/

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:04 am

Or you could post directly yourself in the "Societies" sub section. There you can see people asking about groups in their area, and some groups advertising themselves.

Buy my book about Alchemy in Medieval and Tudor England:
http://www.newcurioshop.com/alchemy-med ... r-england/

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:20 pm

Mrs B wrote:Hi there,
I was hoping you could advise.
(sorry if you have this email twice - I posted the last one and it disappeared!)

My son and I came across a number of wonderful reenactment and living history societies at various events over the summer and now he is really keen to join one. I'm getting in touch to find out feasible this would be? I am imagining he would need an adult accompanying him who was also game? He is 9 and will be 10 in the Spring. He loves history, and wants to be an archeologist when he's older. His favourite period is the medieval period and he really is very serious about it! It wasn't just the swords and the jousting, but the games and carpentry too.

Do all societies accept minors and what kind of commitment would they need to show?

I really want to encourage him in this, but we don't have a car and I am not aware of any Living History societies in our area. We live in St Albans. That said, I imagine this is more of a summer pursuit for many societies? In which case we would be very happy to travel on weekends.

Lastly are there generally many other children that do this does it depend on the period? I would love for my son to meet other kids his age doing the same thing and would be very interested to know of groups that are particularly welcoming towards children.

Sorry. Many questions! Any advice, gratefully appreciated.

Sandra B

I cannot answer your question directly, but will say this. If you find an organisation that combines education as well as re-enactment then that is the best combination around. After all, albeit some thirty years too late for school, I have found out more about the Stuarts in the last three years than I was ever taught at school

Lady Janet

Postby Lady Janet » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi

The medieval Combat Society, has family members, so we do have children in the group
Although he will not be able to start combat training until he is 16, he can start long bow training.
and there are always squire duties etc.

We are based on the 14th Century
located during the winter months in Kingston upon thames
and do shows in the midland and south in the summer

Check out www.themcs.org or www.Themedievalcombatsociety.org
for more details and contact forms etc

Return to “Societies”