Renaissance/Medieval South West England

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

englisharcher89

Renaissance/Medieval South West England

Postby englisharcher89 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi everyone :thumbup:

I'm looking to join late Medieval or Renaissance group in this area. I live in Bath (North East Somerset). I've been doing reenacting once before, for two years in Poland as an Archer/Infantryman, and member of local group from late XV century.
Then I moved to UK over 6 yrs ago and now I'd like to join such group.. it is my passion and something I like to do for fun and dedication, especially this era, or even Antiquity, late Roman Empire era etc.

Anyways as I said Late Medieval Era or Renaissance, particulary mercenary groups based on Landsknechts or English Civil war.
I don't have a car at the moment, only motorbike.. and learning :roll: , so traveling would be issue for me (for now)

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Re: Renaissance/Medieval South West England

Postby Simon Atford » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:14 pm

Hello englisharcher89,

The Company of Chivalry are a bit earlier than the period you mentioned, we do 14th Century circa. 1370, but we are based in your area.

You can email us on cocmembership@hotmail.co.uk or find us on Facebook.

If you fancy a trip over to Wales we are are at Fortress Wales in Calidcot for the Bank Holiday (3rd and 4th May) along with lots of other groups from all periods.

CH1LLYD0GG

Postby CH1LLYD0GG » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Road trip!

Yeah come along and join in :)

The White Seax has a space for you!!!

englisharcher89

Postby englisharcher89 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:30 pm

That might be interesting, will try to come. Thanks for reply, will keep in touch :)

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:35 pm

I might see you there. I will be portraying a CIA operative in Vietnam circa 1969, but mostly re-enact WOTR period with the Woodville Household. We are down Kent late in May and at Old Sarum over the first bank holiday weekend joining other members of the Fed WOTR and the MSS.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

ETFox

Postby ETFox » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:58 pm

If I'm not coming to this too late, there is a new 16th century living history group setting up for first events next year. We'll be recreating mid-sixteenth century militia, with particular focus on the rebellions of 1549, including the Prayerbook Rebellion in the South West.

It's a new venture, but we have a Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/876034132435591/

ETFox - new name, still spouting the same old rubbish

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:50 pm

ETFox wrote:If I'm not coming to this too late, there is a new 16th century living history group setting up for first events next year. We'll be recreating mid-sixteenth century militia, with particular focus on the rebellions of 1549, including the Prayerbook Rebellion in the South West

Is that similar to the Prayerbook problems in Scotland shortly after King Charles became king (that led one Scottish pastor to pull a set of pistols on his congregation)?

ETFox

Postby ETFox » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:47 pm

When the English-language Book of Common Prayer was introduced at Whitsun, 1549, it met with widespread disapproval, but in Devon and Cornwall particularly it was met with armed uprising by many thousands of commoners, numerous priests, and a handful of gentry. Exeter was besieged for 5 weeks until a relief force reached the city after fighting four fairly major battles on the way.

The idea of the group is to portray the people involved with the rebellion, as well as Kett's rebellion of the same year, and other minor disturbances around the country (particularly, there was a smaller but still significant uprising in Oxfordshire). But since the kit for rebels is basically militia kit of the period, there's plenty of scope for other events too.

With the usual caveats about Wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_Book_Rebellion

ETFox - new name, still spouting the same old rubbish

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Bloody Cornish, they'll be wanting control of their buses and recycling next.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

CH1LLYD0GG

Postby CH1LLYD0GG » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:21 am

English archer was successfully recruited by the company of chivalry, has done his first event and is loving it :)

If you would like to become a member of a large, well run, long established & all round excellent friendly group - please just say hello

The White Seax has a space for you!!!

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:19 pm

If anyone is in South Wales next weekend come and see us Caerphilly Big Cheese. We will be in the castle.

Return to “Societies”