Ragged Victorians - 1840/50s

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Slogger_Rose

Ragged Victorians - 1840/50s

Postby Slogger_Rose » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:50 pm

'Ragged Victorians - The Great Unwashed' are a Living history group, re-enacting the more infamous side of Victorian England.

http://www.Raggedvictorians.co.uk

From the slums of the inner cities to the poverty of labourers on the road, our group strives to achieve the most authentic impression of what life was like circa 1840-50's in Victorian ruled England.

As well as many other resources, we use the works of Henry Mayhew and Charles Dickens to help us peer through the window into the past, and use replicated period clothing, props and special fx make-up, to help each member to develop his or her unique character. We then use this character to interact with and entertain the public.

The Ragged Victorians offer a variety of characters from the street dwellers to the peelers (Police) who patrolled them. Together, the group offers a variety of skills including street history at general events and fayres, educational talks (both first and third person to suit needs) and living history at historic sites. We can also provide specific activities within events such as recreating a Victorian prize fight or side show.

Currently, mainly operating in the Midlands/South/Southwest

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Re: Ragged Victorians - 1840/50s

Postby Medicus Matt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:58 am

Splendid, absolutely splendid...

"I never said that I was here to help."

Brother Kevfael

Postby Brother Kevfael » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Just the group needed down Blists Hill or the Black Country Museum to give a bit of authentic colour, (to say, while they're nice to visit they're a bit rose coloured spectaclish. My elderly relatives refuse to visit as they don't portray life as it was.....)

Catherine of Gwent

Postby Catherine of Gwent » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:44 am

Met some of you at Spetchley Park in August. Fabulous, menacing, interesting, and those teeth!!!! It was like meeting Bill Sykes (but he was such a nice chap when he wasn't in character) :D

Ann
Freemen of Gwent

The Freemen of Gwent
www.freemenofgwent.org.uk

Ne'erdowell
Post Centurion

Postby Ne'erdowell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Never seen your group, but from the website it looks very interesting. Any plans to extend this into the later Victorian or even Edwardian era?

Slogger_Rose

Postby Slogger_Rose » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Funny you should say about Blists Hill, we love going there and are going next month, but although we've done ragged there before they don't like us lowering the tone! :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol: We have to go toff this time, but I agree it would be fantastic to have the contrast between the classes and have street traders going up and down, as it should be.

We love doing early Victorian as it seems to be a point in time that is heavily overlooked, maybe it's down to the lack of photographic evidence as photography was just finding it's feet, making the later half a bit easier to research. Though covering 40's and 50's is proving costly enough, I don't think any of us could afford to do more! :lol:

Ann, yes it was my husband and boys that were at Spetchely :D

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:34 am

You couldn't hope to meet a more scurrilous, scaberous and downright scummy lot!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Looking good!..My Victorian interest is 1880's grunge,but the dirt is the same........... :D

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:52 pm

and not a bl**dy cog, tarted up nerf gun or pair of goggles in sight!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:and not a bl**dy cog, tarted up nerf gun or pair of goggles in sight!

:D

"Give me a tent and a kettle

Snowshoes and axe and gun

Send me up in Grand River

Steering by star and sun".

- Labrador Trapper's Song

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Canal Punk. Its the only way.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:37 am

Mark Griffin wrote:and not a bl**dy cog, tarted up nerf gun or pair of goggles in sight!

YES!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!

I'm glad to see a group doing this period as most only portray the 1880s onwards and I love making stuff from the 1840s onwards.

Well done.

K

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 pm

I knew there was something not quite right about them...

"I never said that I was here to help."

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:28 pm

I know, no bl**dy airship captains or corseted explorer girls with a penchant for wearing overly complicated gun rigs, top hats and jodhpurs.

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Looks fab...if you were based closer I'd be interested in joining. I've recently started to get interested in the 1840s clothing styles....but erm...not the rich more the lower middle upper working.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:55 pm

Oi! Nothing wrong with a pair of goggles, and top hat and lots of imagination ... in the right place. I've been known to wander around dressed as such, and it is great fun.

Return to “Societies”