New Group Ratae Militia

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

scotti

New Group Ratae Militia

Postby scotti » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Finally after a false start last season i am pleased to annouce the start of a new reenactment group in Leicester and the surrounding area. We are a small group of friends who are looking to expand. We cover the period 410-475 AD, portraying a militia unit raised to protect one of the local villas/local industries following the withdrawal of the Roman military and the gradual breakdown of urban society. Ex Roman soldiers, Romano Britains and even Germanic settlers are all welcomed into the ranks. We are a battle reenactment society but also welcome living history. Website will be online shortly and we can be contacted at rataemilitia@gmail.com we are looking to meet and forge links with other groups as well as recruit for ourselves.

Bad Viking
Post Centurion

Re: New Group Ratae Militia

Postby Bad Viking » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Well done !!! - I'm down the road a bit in Kettering, will be interested to see how you get on :thumbup: I'm into Dark Age and Early Medieval -- but have always been intrigued by that timeline.

I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

scotti

Postby scotti » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks,
Being from Kettering you'll appreciate the rich Late Roman envoiriment in and around the East Midlands. Places such as Castor, Highcross and Water Newton and the numerous villa sites that when the empire told them" to look to their own defences" they most likely did just that.

scotti

Postby scotti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Website is now up and running therataemilitia.weebly.com and we also have a facebook page.

scotti

Postby scotti » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:35 am

Morning all, The group has evolved and had a change in direction we have moved away from the Late Roman period to the period of the Principate. We now represent Cohors Primae Tungrorum during the Flavian period (last quarter of the first century AD), we are an auxiliary infantry unit and recreate an 8 man contibernium. The impression we give is of an 8 man patrol working out of Vindolanda fort on the Stanegate frontier and as such we are a touch more rough and ready than the average Roman group (But still accurate!!)
We do drill, give weapon displays and combat, we also have the advantage of using a genuine Roman site and museum here in Leicester. As well as the purely Roman aspects we also recreate the Germanic origins of the Tungrians.
So if you're interested in a different take on the Roman army and want to learn how to use the various weapons and test the kit as it was used please get in touch.
The group has grown very quickly and we have several events this year,lworking on our own and in conjunction with other groups such as Cohors Primae Batavorum, due to this expansion we are now looking to recruit British warriors of the late 1st century.
Website www.romansinleicester.weebly.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/TheRataeMilitia

kael

Postby kael » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:28 am

Glad it's coming along!

Return to “Societies”