WW1 yeomanry cavalry North West England

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

spydde

WW1 yeomanry cavalry North West England

Postby spydde » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:44 pm

We have formed 1/1st Lancashire hussars 'D' squadron, 'D' Troop who served in France from November 1915 and remained mounted until Summer 1917 when they were amalgamated into 18th Battalion Liverpool Pals.

It is nearly a year since a small group of riders gathered in Manchester Art gallery for a coffee and a chat about cavalry in the great war, and we have come a bloody long way since then. We are now in the training phase of our unit (as we are steadily getting there) and most of the hard work is behind us.

We are all experienced cavalry re-enactors, but are happy to take on people with limited riding ability as the intent is to train from the start in what we do, the rider to this is, troop membership has to be earned, and everyone (myself included) has to meet the standard before riding in front of the public.

I am currently selling my soul to get funding for the troop, so as to give us an independence of operation, and am concentrating on small events in interesting locations.

So anyone interested in First world war cavalry, who is not already involved? we are looking for predominantly male riders as our shows will be close to the public.
There are a number of sides to what we are doing, however, I include a team of researchers writing the history of the unit, and hopefully a living history project that is due to deliver in a few months time.

I am quite elated about having found a quite complimentary mention already, so I have decided to put this out there, Hi Tim etc. etc...

made a note in my diary on the way here it simply said 'b**ger'

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Re: WW1 yeomanry cavalry North West England

Postby Miss Costello » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:26 am

Sounds excellent, good to see more Great War impressions on the scene. look forward to seeing you at a show.
k

latheaxe

Postby latheaxe » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Sounds interesting.. do you provide the horses or do you need your own???

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:31 pm

You should enquire about Scotlands Festival of History next year.
http://www.lanarkmedievalfestival.co.uk/

Recruiting for The Highland Company 1st Battalion 95th Rifles in Scotland

spydde

Postby spydde » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:13 pm

The aim is to hire in horses, the same ones we train on, hence the need to search for funding. Some of us have our own horses, but not a great believer in using owner riders.

Spydde

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:43 pm

If you would like to come and see some WWI, slightly mad, Gordon Highlanders this weekend come along for a chat at Beamish.
http://www.beamish.org.uk/agricultural-show/
A.

Recruiting for The Highland Company 1st Battalion 95th Rifles in Scotland

spydde

Postby spydde » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Sorry we cannot make Beamish, this time around anyway, we are currently re organising and just days away from our first serious training session of winter, and looking at how we fund the troop. If everything comes off as planned, keep an eye on here as my plan is to sort out a number of WW1 events in the North West at really nice venues, there will be lots of notice, and lots of invites as we know more, but at this moment we are waiting for some answers to requests..
Spydde

Return to “Societies”