Newcomer looking for society in Nottingham

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Elando

Newcomer looking for society in Nottingham

Postby Elando » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:26 am

Hey there,

Let me first come out and say I've never been part of a society or a proper re-enactment before in my life but from a young age I've always been interested.

Ideally I would love to be part of a Medieval based society as, I'll admit it, I'm a little out of shape for anything semi-modern army based (Ie, World war 1 & 2 which is more my speciality in terms of historical knowledge) and I'm too attached to my beard to go and shave it by army regulations. I've always been facinated by sword fighting and archery but while I know reletively little about Medieval history except that a lot of angry lords liked to hit each other over the head with giant lumps of steel I'm eager to learn.

I've only just moved to Nottingham and would love to find a society that focuses on Medieval martial combat, mostly in the training of it and of course the execution and display of it at various events. I've done fencing in the past but always wanted to try my hand at longsword fighting rather than a gentlemans sport.

Unfortunately, I'm only a lowly 20 year old student and so cannot afford to spend much on the hobby without some massive feats of scraping and saving involved so it would have to be one that's easily accessable by public transport and with reletively low cost to me, at least when starting up.

So, if anyone knows of any around that are still accepting members and are willing to train up a complete newbie then that'd be fantastic. I've heard of the Nottingham KDF before but couldn't find anything on them that wasn't horribly out of date.

Andy92

Re: Newcomer looking for society in Nottingham

Postby Andy92 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:55 am

If you're a student in Nottingham, I think Crusade has a group tied to the uni there. Look for ForTheMarshal on here and he might be able to tell you more.

Elando

Postby Elando » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Should have mentioned that I'm currently studying at South Nottingham College so don't have any ties with the Uni. :D

I'll still give him a PM just to find out more however.

nathan

Postby nathan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Early medieval (saxon/viking/norman) float your boat? If so might i suggest conroi de vey (www.conroidevey.co.uk)?

Part of the nationwide society Regia Anglorum (so lots of shows through the year) and locally very active (so plenty happening within Notts).

HTH
N.

http://www.conroidevey.co.uk
Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Elando

Postby Elando » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Saw that too and I'll send them an email. :)

Just out of curiosity do many groups teach crafting skills? I know it's unlikely that it'd be done at shows but I've always wanted to try my hand at blacksmithing.

As an aside does anyone know of any World war 2 or Vietnam war era re-enactments around Nottingham who would accept someone working in a non-combatant role? Working as some kind of in-character war journalist type role would be ace to get into since I'm actually training to be a real world journalist anyway.

ForTheMarshal
Location: Birmingham for me, nationwide groups for the society - PM for details

Postby ForTheMarshal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:24 am

Andy92 wrote:If you're a student in Nottingham, I think Crusade has a group tied to the uni there. Look for ForTheMarshal on here and he might be able to tell you more.

Thanks for the plug, Andy - you need to email me BTW on what's happening with you as an individual, and if we're go or not for Durham :P :wink:

PM sent to Elando Re: Crusade and Curis Nottium (our Nottingham branch)

Click the image below for our website vvv
PM me if you have any questions or want to join/work with us

michaelbarley

Postby michaelbarley » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:27 am

I believe the household work out of nottingham, theyre a group of norman reenactors. I forgot their website but i'm sure if you type in google the household reenactment group then it will come up good bunch.

To be honest most modern reenactors arent the shape of the average tommy of the first and second world war. lol But there you go, if you get in touch with them they will be happy to help.

Michael Barley
Anglo Boer War Staffords
Fools and Heroes
Herofest

Return to “Societies”