Medieval Reenactment near Durham

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Andy92

Medieval Reenactment near Durham

Postby Andy92 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know of any medieval reenactment groups near Durham? I'm at uni here so I'm looking for any in the area. It's either that or set one up here myself :)

Biro
Post Centurion

Re: Medieval Reenactment near Durham

Postby Biro » Thu May 03, 2012 1:29 am

We're in Hartlepool - doing 12-13c

Andy92

Postby Andy92 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:09 pm

I definitely like the look of what you do but it's still a little far for me during term-time when I don't have access to a car. On the other hand, I'm only in Stockton during the holidays so I might come along then. I recently inherited a lot of reenactment equipment from my brother so I'm eager to make sure it doesn't go to waste.

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Thu May 03, 2012 1:52 pm

We have a small, local(ish) event May 19th at Sedgefield Medieval Fayre. Come along, have a chat and see if you like the look.

Most of our training sessions are on a Sunday (not sure if you're still in Durham at weekends) - but we're starting the display season now - so pretty much half of the weekends we'll be away doing events rather than training.

Otherwise, I'm only aware of a small Viking group that are based closer - called Dunholm. I could probably dig out a contact number for them if you want to try that.

Cheers,
Brian

hobbitomm

Postby hobbitomm » Thu May 03, 2012 4:05 pm

You're also within the SCA shire of Depedene under Wychwood, with a couple of us living in Durham, and occasional events this side of the country.

Someone is setting up a Medieval Recreation society at the Uni, which is vaguely SCA associated at present, and may in time become a group in its own right, if there is sufficient interest.

https://sites.google.com/site/depedeneunderwychwood/

Personally I do mid-late 16th century, with a main interest in medicine/surgery and period fence, my wife does cookery, with a main interest in Henrician, but with everything else from Appicius through to mid 17th century. The guy at the Uni is mostly into armoured combat, using the standard SCA rules (ie, rattan, full impact).

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

ForTheMarshal
Location: Birmingham for me, nationwide groups for the society - PM for details

Postby ForTheMarshal » Thu May 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Assuming you don't just join someone local and like 12thC...
If you are willing to put in the legwork with rounding up recruits and learning how to train them, we can help you set a group up (about time we got a group close to DoC - been to long since I had a drink with proper northerners, and want to meet them :wink: ). We've set up quite a few branches with University links, so are used to working with them too.

Our info/propaganda thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=27950

But for new groups we can do:

Internal (heavily discounted) markets on nearly all kit/equipment you could want
Plenty of inauthentic safety gear for mass-training (those first session with lots of recruits, before you whittle down to keepers)

Training equipment x5 on loan
- Group expected to work towards buying another 5, and then purchasing the originally loaned gear as priorities.
Specifics
- Nasal helmets, painted in group colours
- Spears, ends painted in group colours
- Tower shields, painted lozengy in group colours
- Maces, shafts painted in group colours
- Surcoats in group colours (single colour for plebs, both colours for those with armoured [sergeant and above] kit)
- Padded jacks
- Armguards
- Combat gloves
- Coifs (sourcing issue ATM)

Advise groups that members should make first kit purchases:
- Shoes
- Braise
- Hose
- Belt
- Undertunic
- Cloak
- Coif
Where possible, group colours to be encouraged (apply common sense with black kit though)
- Bedroll
- Linen bag

Personnel support:
- Combat training visits
- Craft session visits (Work in progress)

Web facilities
- Group forum on our main boards
- Group email redirect
- Group website

Admin
- Template constitution (Work in progress)
- Template finance records (Work in progress)
- Society membership forms, and booklets

Advertising/Recruiting
- Template pack of 10 posters
- Template group flyers
- Template group business cards
- Society flyers
- Society business cards

Documents
- Society authenticity guide
- Society combat handbook
- Society craft handbook
- Kit making guide (Work in progress)

Other
- Group tent(s) Loan from the Society until groups buy their own

Click the image below for our website vvv
PM me if you have any questions or want to join/work with us

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Thu May 03, 2012 9:20 pm

Not quite your period but there is a chapter of the Society for the Study of Swordsmanship, who do late era historic fencing, based at Brancepeth Castle, which is 20 mins on a bus from the city centre bus station. PM 'joolz' on here for details as he is the chapter head.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Man from Coventry

Postby Man from Coventry » Thu May 10, 2012 12:45 pm

York City Levy (15th Century) draws most of their membership from between the Tyne and Tees.

You can probably find their details on the L & M website.

A good sword, a trusty hand, a merry heart and true.

purple peril

Postby purple peril » Thu May 10, 2012 1:27 pm

There's Rosa Mundi in Redcar, for really well researched Medieval. Think they're still going...
...and there's also the Dunholm branch of the Vikings though they're probably too early for you.

sean raine

Postby sean raine » Fri May 11, 2012 7:32 am

rosamundi are indeed still going. http://www.rosamundi.org.uk/ also if you prefer a early period there is acle early medieval group which is part of the vikings society. http://www.aclesaxons.co.uk/ and the old site while the new is being built is http://aclesaxons.weebly.com/ we will also be at sedgefield medieval faire if you want to come have a look at us

cheers
sean

Right thats it, your in fer it now!

Andy92

Postby Andy92 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Once exams are out of the way, I'm going to talk to the student's union about setting up a society, hopefully with Crusade. Failing that, I'll try to make it along to DoC during the holidays and whenever else I have chance.

Thanks again.

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:19 am

Not sure if you're still about, Andy 92, but if you're in Durham there is also the Time Bandits, of which two of us who live in the area are a part. We are are multi-period, ranging from Anglo-Saxon through to WW2, and have members from all walks of life.

If you look up John Sadler on the net, his page will come up and the Time Bandits are also there.

If you're interested post a reply on the site and I'll see if I can help.

All best,

PR

Budgum

Postby Budgum » Sun May 18, 2014 3:01 pm

That is just typical. I live in Peterlee and only just now discovered the reenactment at sedgefield. 1 day too late :doh:
If I had known I would have loved to have a look along.

I am new to this blogging caper but if there is any way of lettimng me know of other events in the durham area I would appreciate it very much.

Regards.

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Shame you missed us at Sedgefield. Maybe you could catch us at Barnard Castle this weekend (sun + Mon)?

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Mon May 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Budgum wrote:That is just typical. I live in Peterlee and only just now discovered the reenactment at sedgefield. 1 day too late :doh:

I am new to this blogging caper but if there is any way of lettimng me know of other events in the durham area I would appreciate it very much.

Regards.

There's also Bedesworld Medieval Faire on Sunday 25th May - in Jarrow, not too far from you in Peterlee. Might be worth you having a look as there's going to be a few groups there. 10.30 a.m / 4.30 p.m

Andy92

Postby Andy92 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:24 am

Budgum wrote:That is just typical. I live in Peterlee and only just now discovered the reenactment at sedgefield. 1 day too late :doh:

Regards.

Little while yet but we'll have another show in Durham (Palace Green) first weekend of September.

Return to “Societies”