where are the HYW groups

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Brian la Zouche

where are the HYW groups

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:44 pm

after looking into a few periods i find im really interested in the HYW

i portray an archer but also quite like the idea of covering as a frenchie from time to time

after just reading a post from someone who also likes HYW but joined a WOTR group, and now finds himself not completely happy, which was a route i nearly took, i thought i'd post on here

i have spoken/ met a few groups who cover the HYW, but most seem to be half a dozen fellas who do 1 on 1 combat ( all were really friendly and helpfull i may add )

i know being an archer will be limited on small shows but happy to sit around camp and help in anyway needed, i can fletch ( after a fashion ), and have a working knowledge of archery

i live in ashby dela zouch and am taking early retirement in april, which frees up my work commitments but limits my traveling money etc, so traveling to john o groats or lands end each weekend is not really practical £ wise, but likewise i do not expect to find a group on my doorstep

im fully kitted out, and try to be authentic, so doc martin/ sweat pant brigades are not really my scene,

details / contacts/ site of any groups most welcome

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Re: where are the HYW groups

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Well I know of the Plantagents who are into Edward III (they are not my cup of tea but crowds love them.) What part of the HYW are you interested in as they do go on for well 100 years (or more or less if you take into account breaks in the fighting which went on for years and sometimes decades).
I am in a WOTR group but have kit which I used for the Azincort campaighn (only got to wear it once as well) and certainly have kit that would not seem out of place in the final years of the war in Gascony and Normandy. However, none of my kit would fit in with the 14th century. So you may have to still do some work on exactly how accurate your own stuff really is once you join a group.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Brian la Zouche

Re: where are the HYW groups

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:49 pm

hi yeah i guess 116 years could see some subtle and also noticable changes

with a couple of sets of soft kit im fairly certain i would meet muster requirements with a group,

ty for the info i'll deffo check them out

cheers

Return to “Societies”