Brighton and Hove

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Jakzer

Brighton and Hove

Postby Jakzer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi, I'm a 16 year old boy, who is very interested in romans and medival times.

I was wondering if there are any groups in which I can join around Brighton and Hove? And what I'd be able to do?

I dont mind what one it is, but I'd prefer Romans :D

Cheers :)

I've put a copy of this in Societies section too, best of luck ,Lucy ( MOD).

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: Brighton and Hove

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:08 pm

The de Warrene household are that way. For Romans you'd probably need to head west to portsmouth for the excellent Legio II AVG

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:11 pm

There's an old established and well respected mediaeval group close to you, called the Tudor household. I'm not sure if they're recruiting but they are well worth a google, on the offchance. They have a group total of a million* years of re-enacment experience, and what they don't know ain't worth knowing. Good luck, chap!

* I may be exaggerating.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:17 pm

* I may be exaggerating.

Nope, Sapper and just one other in the Tudors would have that amount of experience.

*wipes sentimental tears from eyes after remembering we tied a 6 pack to his moustache whilst he slept early one morning.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

IDEEDEE

Postby IDEEDEE » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:44 pm

Cat wrote:They have a group total of a million* years of re-enacment experience, and what they don't know ain't worth knowing.

Mark Griffin wrote:Nope, Sapper and just one other in the Tudors would have that amount of experience

He, he... :D

@ Jakzer: Sapper, m'self & other reprobates from The Tudors (aka Scum aka Free Company) are normally in The Evening Star (by Brighton Station) on Wed. nights (look for a large, friendly, bear of a man with an Obelix moustache, or if we're not obvious, ask at the bar for "any of Sapper's lot/the reenactors") or, if you'd rather, just pm me. I'm trying to get some regular training sessions going for our lot - a bit like herding cats, but I'm game :D - and you'd be welcome to pop along..).
We mainly do late medieval/early Tudor, a bit of Dark Ages/late Roman & Napoleonic sappers; but some of the guys may have relatively local contacts who travel to do other Roman periods. Worth asking (but like Mark says, I think the nearest "classic" Romans are a bit West of us..).

We're always after new blood..... :D

@ Mark: I wasn't there for six-pack prank.. Excellent!!! :D

IDEEDEE

Postby IDEEDEE » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Hang on... I've just re-read Cat's post:

Cat wrote:well respected

Well respected...!!! Blimey, we've never been called that before... :D

Aikatarine

Postby Aikatarine » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:33 am

Hi!

Just reading this thread *chuckles*
Anyway, I'm studying humanities in Brighton and want to find a regiment / group nearby. I usually do Civil War but anything is finnnee by me. I'm a fifer called "Bob" (Blackadder reference...) So if you can think of anything, give me a bell :)
Cheerrs! (I would say For the King and the Cause! But would it fall on deaf ears ;) :D )
(BTW , I'm a girl, 20yrs but that makes zero difference as far as I'm concerned...)

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:44 pm

@ Mark: I wasn't there for six-pack prank.. Excellent!!!

a very pleasant time at Plumpton racecourse in the early 90's I think... The initial suggestion, considering how much the Sappmeister had imbibed and was thus slumbering, was to shave one side off. Then reality of how painful that would be (for the shavees, not the shaved) would be and the tins of kestrel were produced. Seem to recall Sapper saying he didn't really notice them when he woke up but knew something was amiss....

Robertson

Postby Robertson » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi Jakzer

Just to let you know that I have just started up a new group of The knights Templar in sompting not far from you if you are interested we are about 1189 Richard the Lion Heart yes it is a medieval period.
If you are interested ping me and I can send you some details.

Regards

Baz (Lord Sompting)

scott osborne

Postby scott osborne » Sun May 12, 2013 6:16 pm

hi all looking to get back into reenactment used to be with the black company with graham,zen bell and the rest got no kit now but want to start again with the wife,kidsand my brother hope to here from u guys scott

metzaluna

Postby metzaluna » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Hi there.

Quick query. Looking for members of "SCUM" or "Free Company" For my partner, He was a member of this group several years ago and trying to get back into re-enactment. also think he would just like to hear from Sapper or anyone from the 80s/90s He speaks of you with such fondness and a certain gleam in his eye from being the "Mad Axe Brat"

Many thanks! Hope someone can help :D :D :D

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:19 am

Are you the same person that just asked me for Sappers email?

if not, PM and I'll let you have it

metzaluna

Postby metzaluna » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:12 pm

Heya
Yes it was me. this was before I contacted you! its just taken a bit to be approved. Many thanks though !

Daromir

Postby Daromir » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:23 am

Hello, I'm a reenactor who has moved to peacehaven for the summer and is looking for someone/few people to fight with as i'm getting mighty bored now of just research and kit making. I do mainly medieval reenactment but i also do some iron age, and when i finish my round shield, i'll be getting into some viking/saxon reenacting as well :D I'm willing to travel to where people do their training and eager to fight/learn new people and styles. If you and your group are willing to have me for a session or two, or if you are bored and fancy a fight please message me :)

Return to “Societies”