The Archers A New Society

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:06 am

Sometime ago I realised that the amount of archers on the field at re-enactments was some what lacking, now that isn’t a criticism, as logistically I fully understand that mustering archers from nowhere is just not possible.

Most groups have archers no matter what period they re-enact, but getting all those archers together is not something that happens.

Then I realised that there is a gap in the societies for an archery only society.

The aim of ‘The Archers’ is to utilise current archers from other re-enactment groups for events in need of a larger amount of archers.

‘The Archers’ is not going to be a full time group where we all have the same kit and meet once a week for training and so on. The only way this society will work is by organisers asking me to supply x amount of archers for a certain event. I realise that if you are currently in a group and are asked to do a different period then the kit may be different, the beauty of being an archer is your kit will cross over periods to a certain extent and lets face it we’re all re-enactors so we all know what to wear and when. Armour won’t be an issue with archers apart from the helm. All this will be finalised when the society kicks off in February.

I have already been asked to provide archers at events already and I have only really spoken about setting this up.

I still need to talk to some of the other societies projectile and archery leaders to discuss safety standards. I have already spoken to The Vikings who have a very comprehensive safety test and I will impose a test that will supersede everybody else’s. The reason behind this is so that when at an event and I have archers that are tested by ‘The Archers’ everyone on the field will know exactly how everybody else has been trained to install confidence. The can be no mistakes with archery !

Membership to the society will provide the member with the correct insurance needed to perform at events.

Annual shoots will take place away from re-enactment for the enjoyment of its members.

Primarily the idea behind this society is that every archer can enjoy shooting in mass. There is not much more spectacular than seeing a proper arrow storm and if members only manage to make one meet a year then the membership will be well worth it – Trust me !

With the mention of membership, I intend to keep it as cheap as possible as I understand you will already be paying to another group/s. It is my plan to keep membership to less than £7.00 per year per member.

Communication for this society will be through a free web site and through Facebook (sorry to those who can’t stand Facebook) but using Facebook means I can contact everyone at once in an instance.

The Facebook group will be closed and once you are a member you will be invited to join. I will also set up an open group for the time being until the launch of the new society in February.

Thank you for your time reading this and I hope you are as excited as I am about this !

Many thanks

James Farrar
Fairbow UK

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Re: The Archers A New Society

Postby Tod » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:29 am

Full credit for having a new idea and it's good that it's being done by some one who knows whats what about archery. Please don't take this as critism just as advice. I started doing medieval a few years back after along time doing 18th century. In the first year I discovered how c**p the majority of archers kit was. In a way this was my own fault as I attended some of the non historical wangfests under the misconception they were re-enactments not a bunch of people in a field with kit covering 500 odd years mixed in with costume that came from some wierd fantasy and not any period in history.
Since then I have tuned into events and know what is what. I've learnt a huge amount from a lot of people, the majority of which post on here (and I am very grateful). Clothing varies hugely over the medieval period so one set or even two would not cover more than a few events.
I set up an 18th century group a few years ago and I have one rule, either the kit is right or you don't wear it. It has put a few people off but it gets us respect and we know we have done ourt best to get it right. You are in the same situation as you are starting from scratch you can set the rules. Good luck.

Ems-world

Postby Ems-world » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:00 am

Hi Tod,

Thankyou for a very positive reply.

Kit is an issue. It's something that I need to sort out at a very early stage but as you say as it's all new that can be done.

One of my main concern is that people arn't put off joining due to having to have 3 or 4 different kits. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. My favouite kit and most simple is what I wear when I trade which is the Cheshire and Flint green and whites. Only problem is that limits us to what events we can do, but as uniform wasn't always a strong point for archers we do have some play with this. I feel we will have more of a problem if we did WOTR events as the kit is quite different from earlier medieval.

I think as I still have a few months before going live I will monitor this issue as more and more interest is shown.

Thankfully there has been an enormous amount of interest well before posting so hopefully this idea will be a success.

Cheers

James - using the wifes computer hence the log in !

fitzscorob

Postby fitzscorob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:22 pm

hello James, My group is les Miles des Marches, http://www.mdm.org.uk, covering 1066 to John and also Battle of Shrewsbury to WotR. We are based in Shrewsbury, do Have a go archery at Shrewsbury Battlefield throughout the summer and have about 10 archers in the group. We have a stringent testing procedure and grade our archers into, public display (accuracy), battlefield volley ( accuracy and speed) and combat (accuracy and speed and safety), I do Norman horse archery in the arena. I am sure some of our members would be interested in a group such as you are forming, the massed volley is such a thrill. The £7 membership might be a problem though as we already pay for our own insurance cover, perhaps you could explain what the benefits would be. salut Martin

fitzscorob

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi Martin,

Membership, I'm hoping will only be £5.00 per person per year, but as this is just getting off the ground I put £7.00 knowing that that would cover costs.

The benefits of having 'The Archers' insurance cover will mean you are able to shoot at events that are being hosted by 'The Archers' and also the annual shoots that I plan to host, but lets walk before running too fast ! You will have the certification which will allow you be known as safe throughout the re-enactment world. Currently you have to do day safe tests before you are able to shoot on the field. This is something that is still in the 'talks' stage but has been going extremly well so far. Please bare in mind I don't doubt anybodies level of experience but everybody will need to do this safety test even if they are world champion.

Another thing is if you arn't a member of The Archers you will not be kept up to date on events where massed archers are needed therefore missing out on the opportunity to enjoy what we all love doing.

There is one massive benefit that I would love to broadcast but until I have the go a head then I'm afraid I'll just have to keep it under wraps, but let me say that when I get the nod there won't be an archer in the UK that wouldn't want to join ! Trust me !!

If you would like anymore info please just ask

James

fitzscorob

Postby fitzscorob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:41 pm

Please keep me in the picture. Sounds interesting.
regards
Martin

fitzscorob

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Any new developments will be posted on here, web site, facebook page etc talking of which I have now set up a facebook page which is open to all and is titled The Archers

James

timbobarnacle

Postby timbobarnacle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:58 pm

sounds interesting, am most keen

fast removing B&Q boxes from re-enactment, and hoping to do the same for sash cord guy ropes

Attilla the Bun

Postby Attilla the Bun » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:34 pm

Hands up anyone else who saw the title and went "Dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum. Dum-de dum-de-dihhh-dohhhh"......

Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:00 am

Attilla the Bun wrote:Hands up anyone else who saw the title and went "Dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum. Dum-de dum-de-dihhh-dohhhh"......

:D :thumbup:

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:28 am

great idea, contrsuctive criticism is you don't know reenactors. i thought about doing something similar for all gunners years ago

we're in different groups for several reasons. one is location, one is period, one is want sort of group we want to be in.

but mainly, oh so mainly

we're in lots of small groups because of

politics.

we all want to be in charge, we're all egotistical, thats why we do this

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:01 am

I appriciate all comments and critisms and I no doubt will have plenty of critisms.

Although past attempts may not have worked for you Lord, I haven't made this decision on a whim. Most re-enactment groups have members that are not local so are willing to travel. Most events are not on your doorstep so re-enactors are willing to travel, and it's alot easier transporting bows and arrows rather than cannons.

I have been talking to a considerable amount of archers within the re-enactment world who would like to join the group and I hope they do.

The idea of politics is going to be nipped in the bud at a very early stage as the will be no committee in this society, there will be a set of rules and if there is something somebody doesn't like then they are not forced to join. This society will be run for the enjoyment of its members. The idea of this society is to not replicate the smaller groups you talk of, but to utilise archers for a few events a year.Politics can stay amoungst those who have no interest in what is important. And please don't think that I am so naive that I don't realise how cynical people can be and I understand that there are always alot of people that would like to see something new take a tumble and lets be realistic this still could, but I have done alot of background research and am hopful that this will succeed. But at the end of the day if The Archers society doesn't work it's not going to be life threatening it will just mean archery displays will still not look good or be impressive at events so really it's up to potential members to give it a go to see if joining forces will really make a difference - please don't think that I'm naive when I say - Without politics, there will be no room for it.

Life should be simple lets make it so

James

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:06 am

I forgot to put in my last post - The beauty of having thia sort of society is it is like no other. You are in your smaller groups because you like the people your with, the period you do and it's your choice to be in that group.

With what I have in mind you will still be in your group, you will still be with the people you like, but on the occasion you have a weekend free and there is an event on that you are not attending and you would like to take part in what you love most about re-enacting (archery) then you have the option of joining all like minded people to put on a fantastic display of archery for not only the public but yourselves too.

James

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Sophia wrote:
Attilla the Bun wrote:Hands up anyone else who saw the title and went "Dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum. Dum-de dum-de-dihhh-dohhhh"......

:D :thumbup:

The Apprentice? :eh: :twisted:

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

Chaucers Closet

Postby Chaucers Closet » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Count me in! Have been thinking for a while that we could do with a group like this.

(I can just picture 100 archers marching onto the field to to theme tune. :lol: )

Bad Viking
Post Centurion

Postby Bad Viking » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm up for it defo- but not yet passed any tests tho

I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

Essex Archer

Postby Essex Archer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:16 pm

I will definately support you in this and try to get along to a mass of Archers any day of the week.

Provider of historically accurate portrayals of archery and lower status living.

www.historyblooms.co.uk

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Thankyou for your support, this is the type of feedback I have had for the last six months talking to people face to face - Thank you so much !!

James

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:16 pm

Chaucers Closet wrote:Count me in! Have been thinking for a while that we could do with a group like this.

(I can just picture 100 archers marching onto the field to to theme tune. :lol: )

Cheers Simon

I'm confident it will work for many many people

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:18 pm

Bad Viking wrote:I'm up for it defo- but not yet passed any tests tho

Don't worry mate there's plenty of time

There is lots to be organised before the live date so don't panic

James

woodwatcher

Postby woodwatcher » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:42 am

Great idea james, count three more in from norwich. Sam now thinks this might be a way of getting some dark ages kit. keep us upto date on any developments.

levyarcher

Postby levyarcher » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:36 am

Count me in sir!

Chaucers Closet

Postby Chaucers Closet » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:58 pm

A few of our club archers are interested in helping out with this too. I also know some longbowmen that aren't part of any LH group that may be interested. Give me the nod and I can put the word about at the local Archery clubs.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Excellent.
Please keep us advised of progress.
We have 6 archers so far who I am sure would be interested.
Andy

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Cap-a-pie

Postby Cap-a-pie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Yep sounds interesting, keep us in the loop

Suppliers of Authentic Medieval Maille

http://www.capapie.co.uk

Pete the Pong

Postby Pete the Pong » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:26 am

the real lord duvet wrote:great idea, contrsuctive criticism is you don't know reenactors. i thought about doing something similar for all gunners years ago

Yup, we are all individuals, and the old phrase "herding cats" applies, as always.
But the big difference between Archery and Guns is that err... to me at least all longbows look and function more or less the same, irrespective of period, and are cheap enough for most re-eanactors to have at least a basic one (even me!). Whereas guns are big and very expensive, and also very time specific. If you could bring together even a quarter of the available re-enactment archers from (say)1066 to 1550 and put them in simple kit you could create a MASSIVE authentic arrow storm.
There are many many problems involved with doing anything remotely similar with guns.
And for most people, if the cost of being involved is less than £10 per year? 'Fraid that's less than an evenings bar tab!!!

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

Honourius III

Postby Honourius III » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi Peter
Great Idea. Count me in, ex T Mobile member.
John

Pete the Pong

Postby Pete the Pong » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Honourius III wrote:Hi Peter
Great Idea. Count me in, ex T Mobile member.
John

It's James of Fairbow Trading who has come up with this fantastic plan, not me!!!

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

cheshire archer

Postby cheshire archer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 pm

I'm up for this idea, I have thought for sometime the number of archers on the battlefield is down on what we really need to show a true image of the Medieval battles.

Andy Bradley
The Cheshire Archer

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Thanks guy, the more positive replies I get the more excited I get as I was so confident that this would work

Tell you friends lets really let this grow !!

James

Return to “Societies”