Insulae Draconis - SCA

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

GuyDeDinan

Insulae Draconis - SCA

Postby GuyDeDinan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:45 pm

We are part of a historic re-creation society that investigates and re-enacts fighting, arts, crafts and sciences from the Dark to Middle Ages. We differ from most historical re-enactment groups in that we cover the time envelope of the fifth century to the sixteenth century. Also, our focus or is not to put on shows or demonstrations but to enjoy ourselves while re-creating history. Our members' personas represent everything from Knights of the War of the Roses to Vikings from the ninth century. We encourage a 'best effort' approach to the hobby in a relaxed atmosphere and welcome members of other groups and societies to visit our events and join the local group.

http://insulaedraconis.org/

Our activities include medieval armoured combat, Renaissance rapier combat, archery, medieval and Renaissance dancing, historical cooking (and feasts) and historical costuming. Anything that would have been done in the Dark Ages, Middle Ages or Renaissance (barring things like pestilence and torture) can be done in the group. Recently we have been at Snailwell and Caerphilly, Raglan and Winchester. Our activiites range from weekly armoured and rapier practice, to revels featuring a workshop followed by candlelit feasting and dancing, to weekend camps in both historical and modern venues. These are organised at local group, British Isles and Iceland, and European levels.

The Crown Principality of Insulae Draconis is a branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA). We have local branches in Iceland, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.

I am happy to respond t any queries here or by PM

SCA Thamesreach (London) - www.thamesreach.org

GuyDeDinan

Re: Insulae Draconis - SCA

Postby GuyDeDinan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:05 am

Just a short clarification to add where we actually are. Our main concentrations are - South Wales, Bristol, Wiltshire, Hampshire/Berkshire, London, East Anglia, Yorkshire, South Scotland. We have sub groups forming in Coventry and Lancaster, as well as individual members in other places such as Herefordshire.

We are always keen on finding new members and sites across the UK. If you're too far away from one of the existing groups, do keep an eye out for one of our camps or events, you're more than welcome. For example, two of our most active mebmers are on the Island of Jersey, so only commute to the larger events and participate online.

GuyDeDinan

Postby GuyDeDinan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:28 am

Just to add our groupings.
http://www.insulaedraconis.org/groups/index.html

We also have incipient groups in Coventry and Durham.

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Who would I have to contact in Durham? Interested, but have no ttransport of my own so would have to sort something out with whoever, but definetly interested! :)

P.R

GuyDeDinan

Postby GuyDeDinan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:09 am

Hi, have asked my contact there for an email, be with you shortly.

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:48 am

Okay, thanks for that - Your contact might not get a reply straight away though, as I'm due away at sea for a week or so from tomorrow, but I'll contact them as soon as I'm back if not before.

Cheers,

P.R

hobbitomm

Postby hobbitomm » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:21 pm

That'd also be me. :) Dunno who Guy contacted.

I'm on the Town side- there's a separate group at the University. Drop me a PM, anyway.

GuyDeDinan

Postby GuyDeDinan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:49 am

I passed on Lachlan's details......

Return to “Societies”