Another want!! Natural (probably)dyed wool yarn?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Random Mumblings

Another want!! Natural (probably)dyed wool yarn?

Post by Random Mumblings »

I really CBA carding, spinning and dyeing my own yarn, that doesn't float my boat at all at the moment. At the moment I'm using embroidery wool skeins in colours that look as if they could be natural dyes, however the skeins aren't too long so I'd prefer hanks or balls of wool. I'd also prefer the colours to be authentic, would like natural hand dyed but would go for chemical dyes if they are okay to get away with. It'll be for tablet weaving (if I get my head around how it works) and some embroidery. So, anyone supply it?

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Try here - I haven't bought yarn but kapok, and the lady was very helpful.

Handweavers Studio

http://www.geocities.com/athens/agora/9814/

S.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

I have a small stock of both natural dyed skeins and chemical dyed in look-alike colours. £2.50 per 50g for the chemical dyes, £3.50 for the natural (but very little in stock there, mostly madder and weld at the moment) all skeined and priced by weight pm me with what you need and I'll check whats in the boxes when I get home if thats any help. Generally 4ply in weight, a lot of the dyed stuff is shetland wool..

Phoebe also does lovely natural dyed wool, as does the Mulberry dyer, both would have a far wider range of natural dyes in than I do at teh moment I'm sure.

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Another want!! Natural (probably)dyed wool yarn?

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

I don't know how good it is for weaving, but how about http://www.renaissancedyeing.com ?

kate/bob

Post by kate/bob »

the mulberry dyer is always a good place to peruse. If you want something specific they are very nice , helpful people too

nathan

Post by nathan »

PM me with your email and i can put you in touch with somebody who can spin & dye what you want to order.

N.
http://www.conroidevey.co.uk
Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

purple peril

Post by purple peril »

Shadowcat wrote:Try here - I haven't bought yarn but kapok, and the lady was very helpful.

Handweavers Studio

http://www.geocities.com/athens/agora/9814/

S.
Go there go there go there go there go there...it's ace! You won't want to leave :D :D :D

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Mulberry Dyer, aka Debbie Crum is top. My version of re-enacment crack. often the only stall I buy anything from at a market :lol:

renaissance dyers do some v nice stuff too, crewel wool is fab for embroidery - quite fine - and just noticed they're doing knitting wool now which would prob do for tablet.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Post by ViscontesseD'Asbeau »

Tablet weaving thread takes a lot of tension so you need something very strong, pref worsted spun. I've been handspinning years but don't find that kind of spinning at all fun, so if I want to tablet weave, tend to buy linen warp from The Mulberry Dyer, or silk yarn from DeVere

http://www.devereyarns.co.uk/.

DeVere have a good range of colours so not too difficult to use say Mulberry Dyers as a reference, and buy something similar. (I buy their undyed and dye it myself but you don't want to do that! They have a pale blue I remember that is exactly like woad dyed anyway, ditto a yellow and weld now I think of it).

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

http://www.tmdevents.co.uk/ mulbery dyer.

can also pm her through here (fishwife)
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

btw - just occurred to me (not being a tablet weavy type - is like knitting - too dull :lol: )

maybe the weight of the threads you can use successfully gets lower the better you get at it.

steve the weave uses some incredibly fine yarns in his braids.

of course, he can do lettering in tablet as well...
Miss Piggy

Teagirl

Post by Teagirl »

Tuppence wrote:btw - just occurred to me (not being a tablet weavy type - is like knitting - too dull :lol: )

maybe the weight of the threads you can use successfully gets lower the better you get at it.

steve the weave uses some incredibly fine yarns in his braids.

of course, he can do lettering in tablet as well...
The smallest I've seen in tw was done by a friend of mine, who did it in very fine silk, with custom-made tablets that were about an inch square. The warp was somewhere around 68 tablets wide and the band ended up about an inch and a half wide, with lettering and images in it.

Sadly, I don't have any piccies of it but she was definitely amazing. You can tw with anything strong enough and fine enough if you can get the tablets small or thin enough. She'd based hers on ones made from ivory, very thin and small.

On the other hand, my tw skills mean I'm more comfortable with something the size of mooring rope.

-Su
Prime practitioner of headology and purveyor of beads.

Tillerman Beads

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

On the other hand, my tw skills mean I'm more comfortable with something the size of mooring rope.
personally I'd need those steel cables they use on bridges....

but steve the weave is a legend
Miss Piggy

Random Mumblings

I've looked at Steve the Weaves website and his stuff is lovely. I've had a go and made my first one, it was fiddly and I kept forgetting where I was up to with the pattern but I'm quite pleased for a first attempt. I used some 100% wool double knit i had here, and it's a bit thick, also my tablets are plywood and kept snagging the wool so I need to do something about that. Anyway, this is it:

The tension wasn't even throughout, mainly because I had it tied to my belt and a chair, the chair wasn't really heavy enough to keep the tension at the right level, also it was making my back and shoulders quite sore...need to try to find a comfy position to do it. I also need to not drink so much coffee whilst doing it, and also go for a wee before I start !! :lol:

(The diamond with the blue bit in the middle was a deliberate error, fiddling about with the pattern to see how it works)

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

I love dying yarns, no idea why. But I usually dye in two or three colours per hank, for people to use in embroidery and braiding when it is damp at camp. I would love an excuse to do another big batch. Oh, I use natural-looking dylon dyes.

Now Debbie Crumb grows the right type of plants in her garden!! Oh my.

Random Mumblings

frances wrote:I love dying yarns, no idea why. But I usually dye in two or three colours per hank, for people to use in embroidery and braiding when it is damp at camp. I would love an excuse to do another big batch. Oh, I use natural-looking dylon dyes.

Now Debbie Crumb grows the right type of plants in her garden!! Oh my.
Which Dylon dyes do you use? I have a goodly supply of those here :D

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

For yarns I use the cold water dyes. I do them late in the evening, leave them to soak overnight and they are ready to wash the next morning. All you have to do is follow the instructions on the little folded pieces of paper under the cellophane wrapping. It is dead easy. And you can also mix the colours.

For fabrics I use the stuff you pop in the washing machine. Again, ever so easy if you follow the instructions.

The difference between Dylon (or other makes of chemical dye) and the natural dyes is that the results are more certain with the Dylon stuff. They are supposed to be repeatable. Trouble is I never write down which colour I have used, and can never remember.

Random Mumblings

frances wrote:For yarns I use the cold water dyes. I do them late in the evening, leave them to soak overnight and they are ready to wash the next morning. All you have to do is follow the instructions on the little folded pieces of paper under the cellophane wrapping. It is dead easy. And you can also mix the colours.

For fabrics I use the stuff you pop in the washing machine. Again, ever so easy if you follow the instructions.

The difference between Dylon (or other makes of chemical dye) and the natural dyes is that the results are more certain with the Dylon stuff. They are supposed to be repeatable. Trouble is I never write down which colour I have used, and can never remember.
Did you know you can use the cold water dyes in the machine? I've been using them for years to dye fabric in the machine. One tub of dye plus a goodly pour of salt in the machine and a dyefix, tap it through the holes with a wooden spoon then bung your damp fabric in then run the machine at 40/60/whatever. Unless it's a really dark colour I never have to even run the machine empty afterwards to get rid of excess colour, and my fabric is always colourfast afterwards. Saves a fortune as machine dyes are really pricey in comparison!