Some advice - aquiring a costume

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Emma_W

Some advice - aquiring a costume

Postby Emma_W » Fri May 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm new *waves* and I'm a LARPer as apposed to a re-enactor (prepares to hide behind LARP safe shield :mrgreen: )

SO yes, advice.

I've been thinking about my next charater and what costume I should like to aquire for said character. I want to wear a big dress, a la 18thC/Georgian/Elizabeth Swann, My sewing skills are reasonably basic (I have made a nice wool cloak but thats about it :) ) but for something like this i would like someone who has an idea of making these kind of dresses...

I've been searching google but I can't seem to find
a) anyone/anywhere in the UK that will make something like that without 6-8months notice (I don't get that kind of notice my character is going to be killed off, and I know that this is not going to be cheap, so I want to save up cash)
b) Someone who can make it for a less than about £700 (which is rather more than i should like to pay for LARP Kit)
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough! ;)

I'm not after historical accuracy, but I would like something that is not a £20 fancy dress item (the standard of kit at Maelstrom is extremely high...)

TIA for all advice, comments, suggestions, etetera etcetera
Emma

Emma
--
Maelstrom LAPRer
http://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Fri May 25, 2007 2:26 pm

) anyone/anywhere in the UK that will make something like that without 6-8months notice (I don't get that kind of notice my character is going to be killed off, and I know that this is not going to be cheap, so I want to save up cash)
b) Someone who can make it for a less than about £700 (which is rather more than i should like to pay for LARP Kit)
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough! Wink

Its not that you're not looking hard enough - its just that we costumiers are booked up for that long ( and longer) with previous orders and a big dress takes loads of fabric and loads of time to complete.

Having said that some of us do have various garments off the peg - I have big medieval dresses with large trains etc - have a look at my website

www.shadowlightdesigns.co.uk

You can see the style - houppelande and I have similar in stock and they are within your price range. PM me if you have any questions

Alternatively, if you can wait a month the is the big historical market at Tewkesbury - I will have big frocks on display and so will others

Cherry
Shadowlight Designs

Tuppence
Post Knight

Re: Some advice - aquiring a costume

Postby Tuppence » Fri May 25, 2007 2:45 pm

whilst not wishing to get a reputation for stating the obvious....

Emma_W wrote:Hi all,

a la 18thC/Georgian/Elizabeth Swann, more

:twisted: :wink:

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Emma_W

Re: Some advice - aquiring a costume

Postby Emma_W » Fri May 25, 2007 2:48 pm

Tuppence wrote:whilst not wishing to get a reputation for stating the obvious....

Emma_W wrote:Hi all,

a la 18thC/Georgian/Elizabeth Swann, more

:twisted: :wink:

Uh oh...what did i do....

Emma_W

Postby Emma_W » Fri May 25, 2007 2:52 pm

Drachelis wrote:Its not that you're not looking hard enough - its just that we costumiers are booked up for that long ( and longer) with previous orders and a big dress takes loads of fabric and loads of time to complete.

Fair enough...I have no clue about making costume :)

Drachelis wrote:Having said that some of us do have various garments off the peg - I have big medieval dresses with large trains etc - have a look at my website
www.shadowlightdesigns.co.uk
You can see the style - houppelande and I have similar in stock and they are within your price range. PM me if you have any questions

I shall take a look Ta

Drachelis wrote:Alternatively, if you can wait a month the is the big historical market at Tewkesbury - I will have big frocks on display and so will others

I have time (assuming my character doesn't die at the June event...) and as Tewkesbury is not that far from me i'll take a look. Any idea of dates etc?

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri May 25, 2007 2:57 pm

nothing

I was just being evil :D (not to anybody in particular)

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Emma_W

Postby Emma_W » Fri May 25, 2007 3:00 pm

Tuppence wrote:

nothing

I was just being evil :D (not to anybody in particular)

Fairy snuff. I was just hoping i haven't made a terrible Faux pas on my 1st post to a new (to me) forum....

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat May 26, 2007 4:25 pm

Dear Emma, I usually recommend that people find a maker who lives not that far away so that fittings and shopping trips are easier to organise. (Some people, however, find a maker they like and will go the lengths of the country to have an outfit made.)

I have two suggestions. Firstly if you are in the south-east contact me via the pm system, as I can help you out with authentic-looking but not necessarily authentically made, and not expensive. Secondly get hold of a copy of 'The Garter, the directory that supports costuming' which lists loads of UK costumer-makers and all the places to find accessories and useful things like a Georgian toothbrush, bone combs and so on. pm me to get details, but a copy is £10 plus postage.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Sun May 27, 2007 1:29 pm

Tewkes is the first weekend in July 7th and 8th

Cherry
shadowlight Designs

Paul Bavill

Postby Paul Bavill » Wed May 30, 2007 7:05 am

Emma,

I've got a fair list of costumers on the trader list for the LRP Kit Fair, most of them have web sites. I've listed the likely ones below as I recall they had similar garments in stock at the last Kit Fair:

Historical Costume Company - www.thehcc.co.uk
Cloak'd and Dagger'd - www.cloakedanddaggered.com

or if you contact Ian at Having a LARP - www.havingalarp.com he will be able to find you anything you need.

[shameless plug] Come to the Kit Fair in February

www.foreign-field.co.uk/market.html

[/shameless plug]

Paul

Paul Bavill
Foreign Field Events

Tel: 0113 232 0095
Mob: 07975 619409
p.bavill@foreign-field.co.uk
www.foreign-field.co.uk

Return to “Costumes”