Prayer Beads

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Alexander Borum

Prayer Beads

Post by Alexander Borum »

Hello all

i was wondering if anybody had some nice links for any shops who carry rosaries/prayer beads/Paternosters - im very interested in a rosary for my 15th Century kit.

any help will be appreciated!

Teagirl

Post by Teagirl »

We're currently working on research on paternosters as it's something that would suit our handmade beads.

There's a fantastic website about paternosters in general at Paternoster Row http://paternoster-row.org/.

We should have some up on our site in a week or so with handmade beads, if you're interested.

-Su
Prime practitioner of headology and purveyor of beads.

Tillerman Beads

GinaB

Post by GinaB »

I can make paternosters to commission - at present using suitable small gemstone beads, (eagerly awaiting Teagirl's beads...), wooden beads, or, occasionally - depending on what I have in stock - vintage glass beads. The cords are silk, braided or tablet woven, trimmed with tassels, etc. to your requirements.
A couple of pics of previous ones are at my website -http://www.et-tu.com/ginb/other.html

Teagirl

Post by Teagirl »

Gina, I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure if it got there once or multiple times.

Mike's working on coral and jet and bone-coloured glass beads this week, and we should have them up and ready next week.

Now, of course, I want to learn more braiding techniques! It's always something, one thing leads to another.

-Su

Tillerman Beads

GinaB

Post by GinaB »

Hi Su - I haven't received any! Sent you one though - if you haven't got that, we'll need to figure something else out!

beads sound lovely.... :D

I know about things leading to another. I tried beadmaking - have all sorts of kit, but wobbly beads just don't look right somehow...!

Gina

Teagirl

Post by Teagirl »

Wobbly beads are very authentic! All of my beads are exceptionally authentic by those standards which is why I let Mike make the beads.

I've sent an email this time as we really need to stop meeting like this or people will talk.

-Su

Tillerman Beads

Alexander Borum

haha seems i forgot all about where i put this post - been looking for it all week, but in the buy/sell sub-forum.

im thinking a bit about making it myself (sorry for the bother - ill try to be more clear the next time - Tea and Gina)

im thinking wooded beads, with maybe bone or metal Gauds - a 33 looped design, with a saints pendant hanging from it or maybe a Dagmar Cross (if it fits the period)

still need to do some research i think ;)

Teagirl

Post by Teagirl »

Try Brighton Beads for wooden and bone beads. They have a substantial selection.

It's always fun to try and make things for yourself, that's the way you get dragged kicking and screaming into other areas of interest that you didn't know about at first.

Now I'm going to be braiding, and it's all Gina's fault.

-Su

Tillerman Beads

GinaB

Post by GinaB »

Now I'm going to be braiding, and it's all Gina's fault.
:lol:

I've succeeded in my mission again....!

Alexander - it's very easy to make your own - if you don't feel like attempting braiding for your cord at this point, use something that is strong. Don't use wool. The edges of the beads are likely to cut through wool, and eventually break. A highly twisted beading silk should do the trick, and you can wax the thread a little to strengthen it further.

Alexander Borum

Well i was acturly thinking about using a leather cord - as im really a bit unsure how to braid it.

ive checked out the company tea surgested, but im not sure i really like what they got (or what i found at least)

i was hoping for somebody who was setup specificaly for medieval beads so i dont go and create something unauthentic

maybe the smartest thing might just be to make someone who knows what they are doing, do one for me.

still, im not entierly sure how much that would cost - i suspect it aint a cheap affair (but still nothing is when what you want is handmade goods ;) )

Teagirl

Post by Teagirl »

Alexander,

If you do some research on what you think would suit you then we can give you some more help.

Wooden beads will be very inexpensive compared to some others but if you're wanting glass beads then I'd be happy to help you out, although a string the size you want still won't be as inexpensive as wood.

Bone beads are also a good choice but again, you should decide on the size and shape of beads first, then we could give you more help on finding suitable beads to use.

-Su (you can call me Su if you like instead of Teagirl, that's my job title at the studio)

Tillerman Beads

GinaB

Post by GinaB »

Alexander,
Part of what you have to look at - like everything else in re-enactment - is the level you are portraying. Wooden beads on leather will be just perfect for a simple paternoster but would be quite unsuitable for someone 'higher' up.

It's worth remembering too that beads are found, but the cords aren't as often (at least not with the beads on them). Just because the MoL has a tiny tablet woven silk cord with beads does not mean that every string of prayer beads was made in this way! So don't worry about not being able to braid something specific.

If you choose wood, you don't need to find a specific supplier for medieval - just use plain round wood beads. It would probably be most authentic if you can get unfinished ones, and then wax them, but most are varnished these days. With wood, you also have the advantage that you can, if pushed, use a reamer of rolled up bit of sandpaper to slightly enlarge the hole to fit your leather.

And a blatant plug - I've just had some of Su's beads come through and they really are excellent replicas of gemstones. They are a decent size - for instance real garnet is quite difficult to get these days in anything large enough for a paternoster, and the colours are lovely matches. And of course, the holes are large enough to be able to use them with a variety of cords or braids. But, even better, you don't have to worry about where they've come from, especially with regards to the ivory or coral. Basically, I think they are lovely!

Karen Larsdatter

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

By the way, there's a nice photo of some late 15th century Baltic amber beads (collected at Baynard's Castle) in the Museum of London's "Medieval London AD 410-1558" online exhibit.

EDITED TO ADD: a 15th or 16th century rosary with wooden beads from the same website.
Last edited by Karen Larsdatter on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Attilla the Bun

Post by Attilla the Bun »

Teagirl wrote:
-Su (you can call me Su if you like instead of Teagirl, that's my job title at the studio)
Tea for the Tillerman, eh? (just proving we're of the same vintage! )
Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

Teagirl

Post by Teagirl »

Gina, thank you for that glowing recommendation!

We're still working on this slowly as we want everything to be right, but with luck we'll have a bit more up on the site in the next week.

-Su

PS, to AtB, even though we're big fans of the former Cat, oddly enough we never thought of it when we chose the name, it was just a reference to our boat. I suppose I should do a new version, 'Teagirl for the Tillerman'?

Tillerman Beads