Babies and Children

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Demonica

Babies and Children

Postby Demonica » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:58 pm

Hello

Have been lurking for a while so thought I'd venture out.

We're a family that's new to reenacting and to say we're on a budget is a slight understatement!

Looking for advice for our daughters. What's the basic requirement for a five year old girl and a crawling baby to wear? Our group covers mid 14th-15th century.

I've never sewed anything more than a button in my life so any ideas for pre-made stuff would be appreciated too, along with easy designs I could handstitch.

What would my oldest wear on her feet considering every 3 weeks she seems to outgrow everything? lol

Thank you so much for your help!

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:25 pm

Basically children were dressed just like little adults. (except that boys and girls wore little 'dresses' up to about 2 or 3 when the boys started to dress like dad.

So a little linen slip and simple wool dress. Shoes though is a tricky one, I've been thinking aobut footed 1/'2 hose for my girl (like a knee lenght sock, but sewn not knitted, with a strap or garter under each knee to keep them up)

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Babies and Children

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:58 am

See http://www.larsdatter.com/children.htm for some illustrations of children's clothing (including mid-14th to 15th centuries); also, look at the children's clothing from Herjolfsnes, like #44 (the dress of a ten-year-old girl), and #61 & #62 (see An Infant's Clothing for a reconstruction).

Demonica

Postby Demonica » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:04 am

Dave B wrote:
So a little linen slip and simple wool dress.

Thanks. Do you know of any suppliers of something suitable?

mally ley

Postby mally ley » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:54 am

Dave B wrote:except that boys and girls wore little 'dresses' up to about 2 or 3 when the boys started to dress like dad.

Older than that - in theory 7ish. the problem nowadays is getting modern boys to stay in a dress to that age :roll:

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:07 pm

The Vikings opperate a kiddie clothing bank, when one child grows out of something, it is kept with a central "volunteer" until there is a child available that fits it. New can is occasionally donated as most children are ultimately cloth-unfriendly.
If your group has enough families with children of various ages/sizes, you may consider "volunteering" to set this sort of thing up.

Definition of a "volunteer" - The dumb clutz who wasn't listening when volunteers were asked to step forward and everyone else stepped back!

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Demonica

Postby Demonica » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:39 pm

Haha, that's a great idea. Have posted on the groups site about the kids clothes as you never know what they might have lying around.

Looks like I might be having a bash as this sewing malarky though!

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:42 pm

mally ley wrote:
Dave B wrote:except that boys and girls wore little 'dresses' up to about 2 or 3 when the boys started to dress like dad.

Older than that - in theory 7ish. the problem nowadays is getting modern boys to stay in a dress to that age :roll:

I suppose that may depend on class, region, and when in the era we are talking. I'm sure that Louise was showing me a rather cute illustration of a boy and girl of about 3 or 4, and the boy was in perfect minature hose and gown rather than dress. I think it was in a book called 'daily life in the late middle ages' or some such.

Anyway, as for suppliers I'm afraid I don't know anyone doing medieval young childres clothes off the peg. there are a number of extremely talented people who will make to measure for you, but it isn't cheap (well, made to measure stuff IS cheap considering the hours that go into it, but still) and I suspect that at this time of year all the people who are both good and reasonably priced have fullish order books.

Dave

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Demonica

Postby Demonica » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:17 pm

Dave B wrote: Anyway, as for suppliers I'm afraid I don't know anyone doing medieval young childres clothes off the peg. there are a number of extremely talented people who will make to measure for you, but it isn't cheap (well, made to measure stuff IS cheap considering the hours that go into it, but still) and I suspect that at this time of year all the people who are both good and reasonably priced have fullish order books.

Dave

I can understand that. Think I'll be holding my breath for a while for the Mothercare Medieval range lol
Last edited by Demonica on Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Babies and Children

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:15 pm

Two U.S. companies doing medieval children's clothing off the peg: Historic Enterprises and Revival Clothing. (You may want to talk to your group first, to see which garments are suitable for your group's standards, though; and I don't know that getting these shipped from the U.S. would be less expensive than making similar sorts of clothing yourself.)

Some additional links:
Children's clothing: http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/i ... &catid=337
Beginners' guides to sewing medieval clothing: http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/i ... &catid=125
14th century clothing: http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/i ... &catid=285
15th century clothing: http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/i ... &catid=286

KezT

Postby KezT » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:13 pm

Bit late to this one, sorry.

I think you are being peasants? Authentically, the kids would be barefoot pretty much all the time. Which is fine if it's sunny, and the locations are suitable!

Phil Fraser has started selling kids medieval boots for £35 which are really good. We've bought our eldest some - a good size too large so they have "growing room", and he has been very comfortable in them all Easter - both doing living history and in his new role as squire, learning to fight.

The younger ones, to be honest, you are probably best off either learning to make shoes or bartering with someone to make them for you. Bag shoes are easy and can last a whole season as you just pack them out with more or less lining material (we used fur, but wool/fleece would do as well)

Or you can cheat, let them wear modern shoes & wrap them in linen as in one of the pictures we put on the Babies/LH thread. It depends on how often you are doing it, how picky your group is, and ho much money you have!

KezT

Postby KezT » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:15 pm

Meant to say, we got stung for a firtune in customs taxes when we used Historic enterprises. Pretty much doubled the cost of the items, making them waaaay more expensive than buying british :shock:

Demonica

Postby Demonica » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:24 pm

Yeah am having to definately shelve any idea of buying from Historic Enterprises, plus I emailed them ages ago and got no reply.

I've sat and stared at fabric tonight to make the little un a basic white dress but just dont know what to do with it. I'm craft-challenged :cry:

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:28 pm

Demonica wrote:I've sat and stared at fabric tonight to make the little un a basic white dress but just dont know what to do with it. I'm craft-challenged :cry:
You'll find a similar sort of pattern at http://www.virtue.to/articles/tunic_worksheet.html as well. This makes for a very basic dress, tunic, or shirt, depending on the length you end up going for. Sometimes I make these without the gores at center front/center back and I find those even easier to assemble.

seamsmistress

Postby seamsmistress » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:05 pm

I've sat and stared at fabric tonight to make the little un a basic white dress but just dont know what to do with it. I'm craft-challenged

Hi Demonica

Both good links from Karen :D However, if you are really stuck here, we make lots of childrens historical clothes for all periods.

We have made medieval childrens garb in the past to order but haven't thus far developed those items into a 'standard off the peg' range, largely due to lack of demand. but, we do have medieval patterns for the simpler garments for most ages and we can provide you with the garments you need.

To get an idea of the childrens clothing we already produce as standard, feel free to take a look at clothing shop on our website - this will give you a good idea of quality.

http://www.chimera-costumes.co.uk/

pm/email/phone us if we can be of help.

Return to “Costumes”