WWII Women's Civilian

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Wiblick

WWII Women's Civilian

Postby Wiblick » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:53 pm

Any body know of anyone making women's clothing for WWII, looking for a simple, long sleeved (half sleeved) day dress, god knows I won't fit into the vintage stuff.

Easy enough to get underpinnings etc but no where seems to be doing repro clothing.

Thanks

Aoife

Karen Larsdatter

Re: WWII Women's Civilian

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:48 pm

Some of the Folkwear Patterns would work for WWII day dresses, I think -- there's the 1930's Day Dress, Glamour Girl Dress, and Sporty Forties Dress & Sweater.

calicocloth

Postby calicocloth » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:55 pm

This lady is selling some vintage 1940's patterns - and this one is a larger size: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-1940s-Shi ... dZViewItem

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Postby Neibelungen » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:49 pm

You could try Dawn at Ages of Elegance.
[url]www.agesofelegance.co.uk
[/url]
She's been doing a lot of 20's to 50's clothing for the retro market these days, including underwear[[/url]

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:50 pm

I do it too - it's what my nana taught me to sew with, cos it's what she trained doing - will pm you.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:34 pm

Thanks everyone. Luckily my first event is not until September so plenty of time to source everything.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:40 pm

Wiblick, I made a dress from an original pattern for a party, drafted it up to modern sizes and can't wear it again as I have changed size. If it is your size and you can use it, you can have it for the price of the fabric. Deep dark red, in a thick crepe fabric.

email me at aliceunderscorehuswyfattescodotnet for pictures and garment measurements if you are interested.

agesofelegance

Postby agesofelegance » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:10 pm

Hi
thanks Neib
Yes I'm doing most things, trousers, blouses, skirts, suits, Rosie riveter outfits etc plus the undies and menswear. Cut form tailoring manuals of the period
I've been wearing it myself for years and now doing it commercially for the vintage fashion and burlesque market and wholesale if you want to check out my website ( fashion rather than historical pages) or give me a ring and lmk what you are wanting

Tailors to history
www.agesofelegance.co.uk

katiepoppycat

Postby katiepoppycat » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:36 am

i think i only know about 3 people who can wear the vintage stuff . . .Got some ATS jackets in my wardrobe that a 9 year old girl cannot fit into. If you get in touch with UK homefront on www.ukhomefront.co.uk. Their website is very busy but they will be able to direct you to some other traders too - I dabble in WW2 but know anyones names! I've also seen some of Tuppence's stuff and it's luurvely.

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:12 am

Thanks again

I seem to be getting sorted. But this is something ongoing, we're testing the waters this year with a couple of events. Originally I was supposed to do Russian NKVD officer but I figure civillian kit will be more use to me long term. We're taking on far too much by doing another time period but WWII is his first love and he sees this as the perfect excuse to 'invest' in a motorbike/sidecar - although what he really wants is some sort of armoured vehicle.

So I'll be getting only the one outfit this year but no doubt building my wardrobe for next summer.

thanks

Aoife

Return to “Costumes”